Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Looking For Guideance - Door Lock & Latch Assembly R&

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickF  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Looking For Guideance - Door Lock & Latch Assembly R& Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can help me, or provide some guidance with completely changing out a 924S, (or regular 924/944), door latch mechanism and latch assembly? I'm about to tackle the project on the passenger side door of my 87'. I'm looking to replace the entire mechanism located inside the door and the door latch catch mechanism bolted through the end of the door to the mechanism on the inside. Neither of the Haynes Manuals for the 924 or 944 nor the Porsche shop manual is very helpful. I haven't found anything on any of the forums, with the exception of Pelican, and they only address the 968. Is there a different procedure for R&R between power and mechanical windows? Are there alignment issues or tips? Are there assembly steps to follow, etc? I'm looking for clues on what to expect before I jump in.

Thanks,
RickF  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? No one has removed the entire interior door lock\latch assembly and is willing to share the experience and what to look for/avoid, etc?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/body-12.pdf
RickF  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rasta. However I'm not talking about the handle removal and installation. I'm looking for info and guidance on the removal of the entire internal mechanism, (inside the door), and door latch . Will I have to remove the entire power window assembly, motor and all, prior to removal of the mechanism or can it be done otherwise? What about installation of the new mechanism? Is alignment required and how does one go about aligning it if it is required? Questions like these are what I'm looking to have answered.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your answers can be found by taking the door card off. It's made out of flour and water much like the dash, so be careful. Once off you'll see inside the door cavity, and as I recall, you don't have to take the window and mechanism out. Next week, once the rain stops here in AZ, and warms up, I'll pull a door card on my '88 924S, which is being parted out, and let you know.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Johann  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really easy job to do and once you have the door card off it is pretty self explanatory. I think you won't need more than 2 hours.

1) Remove the door card and plastic skin covering the door
2) Remove the cable from internal door lever by unhooking the cable from the eyelet
2) Remove the outer door handle
3) Unscrew the two allen head bolts holding the door latch onto the outer skin of the door.
4) Wiggle the mechanism out ( with the window up this is easiest). There is no need to remove the window or the runner or any other internal workings of the door
5) Installation is the reverse of removal

Some tips:
- Save yourself some trouble by clearly marking the position of the outer door latch with tape. This way you will not spend another 30 minutes trying to align the pin and the catch.
- Take some time to clean your window runners and lubricate all joints
- Now is a good time to replace your window scraper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: