Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Where to purchase 924 fuel filter by the gas tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlb924  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Where to purchase 924 fuel filter by the gas tank Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum but I didn't see this issue addressed in the tech section. I am in need of the 2nd fuel filter that is located back by the gas tank on the passenger side. Porsche has informed me that they no longer make this part. Any idea where I might find one? Does VW or Audi have an equivalent? Thanks
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the fuel pump. There is no external filter until you get to the filter in the engine bay, or on the turbo's on the drivers side up by the windshield wiper motor.

There is a replacement strainer for the internal tank pump that is a recommended upgrade as the in tank pumps are extremely expensive...and Porsche did away with them in the 944.

Pics can help.

Cheers,

Ian

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
dlb924  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Where to purchase 924 fuel filter by the gas tank Reply with quote

dlb924 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum but I didn't see this issue addressed in the tech section. I am in need of the 2nd fuel filter that is located back by the gas tank on the passenger side. Porsche has informed me that they no longer make this part. Any idea where I might find one? Does VW or Audi have an equivalent? Thanks

Thanks Ian. The symptoms are as follows: The 924 is kept in kept in temperature controlled environment and the gas is good. The car starts but runs really rough until I can pump the accelerator to keep it going. This can take up to a minute. After that, it runs fine but, hot or cold, it always starts rough. This happened years ago and it must have been the strainer that I replaced which fixed the problem. I remember it was back by the tank area but wasn't the fuel pump. I recently replaced the fuel filter, so I know that isn't the problem. Thoughts? Thanks Darrel
dlb924  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian89C4 wrote:
I think that is the fuel pump. There is no external filter until you get to the filter in the engine bay, or on the turbo's on the drivers side up by the windshield wiper motor.

There is a replacement strainer for the internal tank pump that is a recommended upgrade as the in tank pumps are extremely expensive...and Porsche did away with them in the 944.

Pics can help.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I am new to the forum, so I think I may have replied to the wrong place. My 924 is stored in temperature controlled environment and I replaced the fuel filter, so I know that isn't the issue. The gas is good. Hot or cold it always starts, but runs rough for about a minute or more before kicking in. It runs fine and then when I go to start it again it repeats. A few years ago I replaced what must be the strainer back by the fuel tank and it fixed the issue. Are those strainers available somewhere or do you think this is a fuel pump issue? Thanks for your wisdom. Darrel
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you maybe talking about the fuel accumulator just past the inline fuel pump?

That part could effect starting performance but not really running performance..

I recommend a full CIS pressure test http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=35734, pump flow test, and injector spray test..
All DIY and very doable, just have to buy/make the gauge..

Injector spray test..
Fasteddie313 wrote:

Pull the injectors, Put them in 4 identical pop bottles, jump 30-87 on fuel pump relay to run the pump, Techron in the gas tank, push the metering plate on the fuel distributor to make the injectors spray into your pop bottles..

Go ahead and fill up the pop bottles a couple times to get that Techron through the system, running it is good for it, give it a chance to clean its self up..

Then empty your bottles and fill them about half way with the injectors, compare there levels, the bottles should have equal amounts of gas in them and you should observe a nice cone pattern spray from the injectors.. And it makes very cool sounds.. EEEEEEeeekkkk...

The injectors should stop when your not pushing on the metering plate, a good base setting for the mixture screw is to go rich just until the injectors spray by themselves and then back until they stop while you have the fuel pump running with the metering plate at rest...

If all the injectors don't stop spraying at the same time the ones that continue to spray or dribble while the others are off need to be replaced as they are leaking, give them a chance by running with the techron first..

If your fuel in the tank is questionable maybe you should drain the tank and add fresh fuel first..

If you have access to a CIS fuel pressure testing kit by all means use it, as before run the system with techron for a while first to give it a chance to clean itself up..

If your car has lambda or an O2 sensor system you can then tune the mixture screw by monitoring the lambda frequency valve duty cycle with a dwell meter...

Fuel pump vol test is in the haynes I think, don't have the regimen on hand..

These test will identify any problems in your fuel system..
dlb924  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Are you maybe talking about the fuel accumulator just past the inline fuel pump?

That part could effect starting performance but not really running performance..

I recommend a full CIS pressure test http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=35734, pump flow test, and injector spray test..
All DIY and very doable, just have to buy/make the gauge..

Injector spray test..
Fasteddie313 wrote:

Pull the injectors, Put them in 4 identical pop bottles, jump 30-87 on fuel pump relay to run the pump, Techron in the gas tank, push the metering plate on the fuel distributor to make the injectors spray into your pop bottles..

Go ahead and fill up the pop bottles a couple times to get that Techron through the system, running it is good for it, give it a chance to clean its self up..

Then empty your bottles and fill them about half way with the injectors, compare there levels, the bottles should have equal amounts of gas in them and you should observe a nice cone pattern spray from the injectors.. And it makes very cool sounds.. EEEEEEeeekkkk...

The injectors should stop when your not pushing on the metering plate, a good base setting for the mixture screw is to go rich just until the injectors spray by themselves and then back until they stop while you have the fuel pump running with the metering plate at rest...

If all the injectors don't stop spraying at the same time the ones that continue to spray or dribble while the others are off need to be replaced as they are leaking, give them a chance by running with the techron first..

If your fuel in the tank is questionable maybe you should drain the tank and add fresh fuel first..

If you have access to a CIS fuel pressure testing kit by all means use it, as before run the system with techron for a while first to give it a chance to clean itself up..

If your car has lambda or an O2 sensor system you can then tune the mixture screw by monitoring the lambda frequency valve duty cycle with a dwell meter...

Fuel pump vol test is in the haynes I think, don't have the regimen on hand..

These test will identify any problems in your fuel system..

Thank you so much! I will keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: