Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stage Next...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your thread from beginning to present.
Fast Eddie, I commend you on your excellence.
-Mechanically very proficient
-Impeccable cleanliness
-You writing is clear & good reading
-Your photography enhances your story & you capture just the right thing at the right time.

Keep up the amazing work.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Just read your thread from beginning to present.
Fast Eddie, I commend you on your excellence.
-Mechanically very proficient
-Impeccable cleanliness
-You writing is clear & good reading
-Your photography enhances your story & you capture just the right thing at the right time.

Keep up the amazing work.

Well thanks man!!

I hope you meant cleanliness of packaging because that's what I'm really going for, and the truth is my car is quite filthy in places I'm not currently concentrating on, lol..
I had it pretty spotlessly clean one time, one time, http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=41335
but on my washboard dirt road the exterior gets a layer of silt in no time and the tires throw crap all over.. It also drips some oil here n there that is not on my priority list..

When working on a specific component I do try to make it pretty clean upon final assembly, mostly for the insides..

I guess I have a pretty good mind for imagining mechanical systems but that usually just leads me into crazy ideas on the brink of madness..

I feel I have a tendency for redundancy in my writing, overexplaining things, so pictures help me to not say the same thing over again 5 times trying to get my point across clearly..

Really the pictures are also very much for myself.. I like to take good pics of things I'm currently thinking about so I can stare at them and think about how I can do things without being outside at the car..

This project right now, a lot of little things to me seem big and postworthy but their really not, it's just that when I think "this might not be possible at all" but then I figure out how to do it it feels like a huge step..

Like right now, i just finally got my air meter housing completely together permanent permatexed with good proper bolts and actually have been able to mount it to the car for real for the first time..

The way my AFM is their is no way to get at the top of the rubber mount things so to install it the rubbers had to go on first and then hope it was possible to mount the rubbers to the body mount from underneath blind..

Turns out it was quite a bit easier than expected, but previously thought possibly impossible, so in my head I'm doing a touchdown dance but in reality nobody really cares about how I put on 3 nuts..

Then I went and broke a compression fitting getting too greedy with the torque so 1 step forward and 1 step back, chase more pieces, as usual..

But it's just the return line so I rigged up a temporary contraption and ran my FD some more pump jump style and now I'm pretty confident that is is a good working serviceable unit for the first time in a year or so since I bought it. It holds residual like forever too..

I think it's running at about 95psi but I kinda tested my fuel pump to high pressures and it bent my gauge..
I guess you could say that these CIS fuel pumps are capable of gauge bending pressure, so now the gauge reads a bit high all the time, but I have 2 more so it's just a matter of replacing it..
Also semi-importantly, my compressions do not leak under unknown gauge bending pressures, nor does anything else in my fuel system thank god..
I didn't really mean to, and I'm probably lucky I didn't blow the accumulator or something..

On my V8 distributor, open injector lines/no injectors, with the lines at full flow, I' seeing about 4-5psi system pressure drop at full flow vs no flow so I figure the 931 FP is up to the job, and that is only running the external pump..

I want to do a max time/flow test but I think having the injectors on the lines may matter, and with the electronics off it is pretty much stuck at like 50% capable flow for any given airplate position..

The prevailing theory is that this thing should run and drive half ass decent with just the distributor and no electronics, with a very flat/linear fuel curve, should keep an AFR pretty steady through it's CFM range..
It has no fancy AFM cone shape or variable control pressure that other CIS variants rely on for tuning.

So the point is to fire it and tune the AFR a touch on the rich side with the electronics off/no electronics, which will be like limp mode tune (EMP resistant), and then fire up the electronics and bend the fuel curve around wherever I want it just like standalone with EFI injectors..

Looking at the big picture, progress is slow with no end in sight
So it's best not to look at the whole picture at the same time for the most part..
It's not like I'm in a hurry either..
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..." in my head I'm doing a touchdown dance but in reality nobody really cares about how I put on 3 nuts.. "

I get it. Alterations take time. Old cars take time.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/d3EyNiLAfII
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat! Is that a fuel pressure gauge being activated (by fuel pressure) when you open up the afm?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Neat! Is that a fuel pressure gauge being activated (by fuel pressure) when you open up the afm?

The trigger is fuel pump power..
Fuel pump on = about 100psi
Fuel pump off = about 50 psi residual pressure it holds..
Pushing the air meter you can see a little pressure drop from 100 to lower 90's when it is at full flow to injectors..
But they are just open lines with no injectors on them, so maybe having injectors on the lines their will be less pressure drop at full flow..
The gauge just shows system pressure or residual pressure, their is no such thing as control pressure on this type of CIS, or rather control pressure = system pressure..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the video..
https://youtu.be/sO6pZjnv450

Well, it fills up bottles pretty fast now..

Think that should be enough fuel?

Cohline didn't go too bad, I'll probably straighten the metal lines up a bit more to make them look better.. Clears the headlight mechanism still..

I've got the head torqued down finally also.. I can't really put the intake back together until I get the IAT and TPS figured out but I have an itch to atleast fire it up before I go back to work on no electronics..

Thinking about paying a megasquirt/standalone guy to do the wiring install. I just don't have time these days to tinker with stuff so I had to buy an M3 but still want to finish the 931..

Sorry it's been so long but my interests come and go and spare time availability isn't what it used to be..

I need to do something about that cold start injector line..
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, lets see this work !
Dutch924-racer  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work!

do they all 4 have equal fuel delivery?
Fast road camshaft
Forge recirculation valve + boost controller
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch924-racer wrote:
good work!

do they all 4 have equal fuel delivery?

I didn't do a scientific test yet but from first results I can say NO..
#3 overflows first..

I need to do actual tests at different flow rates and see exactly how far out they are.. Swap injectors and see if it follows the injectors or is the lines themselves etc.. I do think they are within the 10% range though and doubt anything over 75% max flow rate will be applicable..
In theory it should still flow twice as much fuel with the electronics pushing it full rich but I'll need less than half of that..

My system pressure is also dropping from 100psi to 80psi with the plate all the way down so maybe it could use another booster pump or a bigger one..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to fire it up for the first time in too long very soon..
The first start might be interesting, between ignition timing, fuel mixture, and throttle settings, trying to get the planets to alight good enough to get sputtering..

TB from a B3 passat automatic..
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gonna use that TB? isnt it small?
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
You gonna use that TB? isnt it small?

I think it's pretty close to the same size as the audi 5000 TB in these pics next to the 924 TB..

I'm pretty sure it is bigger than the 924 TB.. I hope..
I'll compare them thoroughly when it arrives..
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the audi 5000 TB was an upgrade to the 924NA not to the 924 turbo...check out the diameters and compare them.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW TB has the same primary bore but the 2ndary is quite a bit bigger..

The bolt pattern on this TB is the same but it will NOT just bolt on.. The TPS sticks down too far and hits the intake manifold..

It took me a solid day of contemplating and fabricating but I managed to shorten the shaft and reengineer the throttle return springs to gain the clearance I need..
I also drilled a good ported vacuum tap into the TB, the one just on the wrong side of the butterfly, for my vacuum distributor to work properly.. I have to figure out which vac line goes where again as far as the ignition distributor..
I cut the brass nipple insert out of another old TB and installed it in the VW TB..

I got to run my machines a lot reshaping the TB axle.. I made quite a surface grinder jig setup and was able to get super accurate with it..

TB turned out awesome so far I think.. I need to buy longer allen head bolts for it.. Port the manifold to it some time..

It's not really that much bigger, consider I was able to get the original TB rubber coupler on it albeit with quite a bit of effort and prying..

Another thing with this TB..
I have to figure out something for a TB bypass for idle adjustment.. This TB does not have one of those screws..
I think I'll just use a ball valve until I'm ready to make the computer run the electronic one I have..

I have all the exhaust done but the J pipe, oil system complete, Cooling system is together, ignition is base timed (I hope), cam timing is done, no air filter solution yet, terminate vacuum lines, top off fluids, add +12 volts, valve cover gasket after I confirm oil, pull my o2 sensor back out to not ruin it, correct spark plugs for service, intake manifold-block bracket, better install a good engine ground..

As soon as it will idle the first thing I will probably have to do is start backing down the timing belt tension.. and bleed the coolant..

Anybody want to tell me which vac diaphragm on the ign dizzy goes to which vacuume port? The TB one and the brake booster hose one..
The only things I have for vac now are the ign dizzy, bov, brake booster, the evap diaphragm thingy, and bypass idle control..
I forget which ones go to the dizzy and evap thing.. Probably a hard thing to search for, better check the hanes first..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 4 of 27

Jump to: