Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Adding sensors and gauges without adding a gauge pod.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Adding sensors and gauges without adding a gauge pod. Reply with quote

I would like to get more information from my car without adding gauge pods and have been playing with a couple of ideas. However the old interwebs is not really providing me with much info.

I want to add information on:
- Boost
- Vacuum
- Fuel pressure
- Oil temperature

I could use your help and advice on this. Here is what i am thinking.

- Find a 951 Tach and somehow build it into the the housing for a 924
- Remove the inner workings from a VDO boost gauge and Frankenstein this into a 924 tachometer. This requires an custome gauge face.
- Source sensors that have bluetooth functionality and related apps

Any experience in this area is appreciated.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thought process. Wanted more safety info but did not want gauges making a period 924 looking like a modern ricer. First a guage or two went into a radio blanking plate. Then two gauges into a pod fascia in the dash speaker area (I'll probably sell this as it's not used now). Finally went with the Zeitronix. Whilst not ideal. Whilst not as hidden as some gauges. Being old school display it does feel right in the car. Mine covers boost, EGT, intake temperature and AFR which I deemed the most important info on an increased boost car. The Zeitronix can display any sender/info you want to use. It can also be expanded with additional display. Could hide some gauges in the glove box for info not so important on all drives? The Zeitronix can also datalog for later analysis.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gauges do you have now? Do you have A/C? Clock?

If you have A/C, this is a cool idea (pardon the pun) for putting the a/c fan speed knob into the cigarette lighter location:

If you don't have A/C, I'm guessing you have oil pressure, volt meter, and clock.

Do you need the clock?

Do you need/want the volt meter?

Do you have a radio?

If you don't want or need the radio, the obvious choice is a blanking plate there which can support up to three gauges.

I've seen some people use a hole saw to cut an opening in the dash directly between the center dual vents and the glove box, as in this photo:

If you want to stay analog, get a VDO boost/vac combo gauge like this one:

I don't think VDO make a fuel pressure gauge with sufficient range to cover the CIS system. Why do you think you need fuel pressure in the cockpit?

VDO make a range of oil pressure gauges in US or metric, with different ranges, all available in the cockpit or black series, which are near perfect match for oem gauges.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, see this thread for raceboy's tutorial on creating a
924 Carrera GTS replica tach/boost gauge
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread on in-cockpit CIS fuel pressure gauge:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/516270-dash-fuel-pressure-gauge-cis.html
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Here is my dash

@Dan, I have a dealership fitted aircon so my control knobs are here

I might be prepared to let the clock and voltmeter go, I'll have a look at some gauge options when I am at Techno Classica this year.

@Steve, Zeitronix is going in the right direction, but it's too modern/tuner for my liking.

I was hoping there are gauges on the market with fully customisable screens like you get on smartwatches. So basically a full TFT display like you get on the new Porsches with the ability to mimic multiple gauges.

Alternatively I was hoping to find sensors connected to som form of command module that can transmit measurements via bluetooth so that you can follow it on an app.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your center speaker and cover are gone. Are you opposed to something like this?

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Appearance.html#CDGP

Available with either straight or angled binnacles.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann wrote:

Alternatively I was hoping to find sensors connected to som form of command module that can transmit measurements via bluetooth so that you can follow it on an app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7JOLBSakIk&feature=youtu.be
http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/shadowdashmsmenu

You could use a megasquirt to connect to all of your sensors and then bluetooth whatever gauges you can imagine sensors for to your choice of android device..

And then you can also use it for logging, boost control, knock sensing, meth injection, N2O, take over your control pressure, whatever you want..

Bluetooth to RS232 Adapter $60
Microsquirt $340
Sensors, usb adapter, wires and connectors, $$??

$500ish + your android dashboard device..
Johann  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fasteddie, that looks very interesting. I have been looking at the frankenCIS, so maybe this is the route I need to take. For now this is still just ideas I am playing with, but good to know what I want is possible

@Dan, that foto was taken while I was installing my radio and fixing my odometer. I popped of the speaker cover to clean it and see if it wasn't possible to make some sort of phone holder in the position. Still something I am toying with, but I first need to invest in a 3D printer
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann

Mount a phone or tablet under the speaker grill. Put some hinges on the grill and pop it open when you want to see the data, shut it when you don't.
Johann  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I like that idea
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Mount a phone or tablet under the speaker grill. Put some hinges on the grill and pop it open when you want to see the data, shut it when you don't.

This idea has potential
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note also that some modern round-style gauges allow more than one bit of information to be displayed in one gauge.

But for sure, an Android-type display tablet will be ideal; mimics what we do with race dashes, but prettier and often more flexible for display style/content.

I actually am about to replace the dash currently in my racecar, due to visibility/readability issues...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Note also that some modern round-style gauges allow more than one bit of information to be displayed in one gauge.

True, the Zeironix gauge can toggle between up to 4(?) different inputs. You can also mount 2 (maybe more?) in serial for more data. I guess others do this but I only know what I know briefly looking at this system.

I went for the Zeitronix/Phormula boxes and mounting them on the dash as I did in 'homage' to the rally trip computers back in the day. It also looked more OK when I had the race cage and seats in. I wouldn't lose it now. Whilst you only look at the data most when tuning in the early days, it is good to keep an odd eye on the data when spanking the car. If the gauges are in the lower console or radio spot, its very hard to cast am eye on them whilst driving, which is why I lifted them up higher. The dash speaker area is far easier, other than the main binnacle.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best "eye position" in my opinion is the A-pillar. Much easier to pick up queues in peripheral vision than in the center console or speaker grill location. But some people don't like that look (too ricer?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: