Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Stupid question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ks114  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Stupid question Reply with quote

Hi guys, I need some help. I've got a 1981 924 with a Weber conversion. I've had an intermittent spark problem. We've replaced the pickup sender and the ignition control unit on the left fender and the ignition switch. Also the coil. My question is, does the ECU (under dash) still do anything since the fuel injection is gone? Thanks in advance.
RC  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was never any factory ECU (Engine Control Unit) fitted to these cars, under the dash or elsewhere. Some guys have fitted aftermarket ECUs like Megasquirt but they don`t use carbs.

Perhaps that is an immobilizer, some ignition system, or other electronic box of tricks installed under there? How about taking a photo and posting it so we can try to identify what you may have.

Better to ask a stupid question than remain ignorant forever.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
ks114  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the Bosch labeled box 0 280 800 037 931.617.101.01
RC  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that is the lambda control box, very early tech add-on to mechanical CIS. It won`t have any effect on anything, ignition timing or the Webber, so can be removed or disconnected or simply ignored.

Probably a good time to fully recheck ALL electrical connections & wiring, particularly the earth/ ground connections, common problem area. Remove all connectors & clean, tighten, etc.Remove ceramic resistors and check for open/ suspect windings & the whole loom too.

Allan @ DTA wrote:
I have no issue with superchargers, they are for guys who want to drive a car rather than talk about horsepower with their baseball cap on backwards
Raize  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had intermittent spark problems a few times. What it was for me:

1. Loose/broken HT lead.
2. The wire from the starter to the coil was shorting to ground.
3. Fouled plugs (924 seems ridiculously intolerant of fouled plugs!)
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be more specific about the symptoms? Intermittent spark could be many things, and could be interpreted many ways. Is it a misfire? Or is it a problem where you get absolutely NO spark causing no start or dying while running?
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a MSD 6a box in there since you have the whole fuel system gone. Might as well do after market ignition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: