Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Winter Sled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's a winter sled, this must be what pulls it. Turbocharged, intercooled, 600 lb torque + 6 speed transmission. The only thing it wont do is fit in a parking space at Panera so you can pick up your Chai Latte.

87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter is when my 318d bmw e91 really comes to life, sliding it in the snow is crazy ammounts of fun. With 16'' Nokian winter tyres grip is quite good aswell. But if you get plowed into a corner a 4wd Cayenne would be really helpful
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecitizennn wrote:
If that's a winter sled, this must be what pulls it. Turbocharged, intercooled, 600 lb torque + 6 speed transmission. The only thing it wont do is fit in a parking space at Panera so you can pick up your Chai Latte.

But completely inappropriate for the wife's executive parking space
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I monster-trucked a toyota tacoma in Jackson Hole one season i was contracting there. He pulled out in front of me and i tried to miss him, but my kevlar humvee run-flat sawed off his front bumper. The cop looked confused when he tried to find the damage on my truck, i had to show him the scratches on my tire. Your wife has executive parking? You should have bought her a harsco 5 ton. Cant get much more professional than that.

87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold

Last edited by joecitizennn on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Winter is when my 318d bmw e91 really comes to life, sliding it in the snow is crazy ammounts of fun. With 16'' Nokian winter tyres grip is quite good aswell. But if you get plowed into a corner a 4wd Cayenne would be really helpful

Yes! Nokians

I had a '86 535i with Nokians for winter and hands down the best winter tire ever
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My winter sled that I happen to drive all summer too..

Cooper snows for the winter a step taller than OEM..

Tires on right on snowflake wheels on left.. Siped tires rule winter..
Rusty but trustie..
https://youtu.be/x_L9dm8uH94

I've driven the crap out of it for like 30k+ but I maintain it well enough I suppose.. Gets an Italian tuneup about weekly..
Just got it's new exedy full clutch kit and low mile LGT 5 speed tranny... Have had to replace plenty of parts..

Quite quick at low speeds, torquie 2.5 NA, stick ofcourse, LSD rear and middle, f/r strut braces, CAI, ADJ rear sway, all Rockford speakers, body is all original real RS...

Not a highway car, runs like 4k at 80mph, short gears, doggy at high speed, very little passing power..

Tracks very straight in slush and uneven conditions, not pulled around much, just eats bumpy dirt roads and 2 tracks for breakfast and stays planted but surprisingly unforgiving drifter, likes to understeer, then when it gets loose it likes to snap back and needs a bit of steering input rather than just coming back on it's own..

It'll plow snow like it doesn't even notice, I only got it stuck one time way out in that junkyard in the dead of winter but some RV floormats got me right out..

It's one of the quickest cars around in winter but in reality slower than an OEM 931, maybe even an NA? 165 tired 225k mile hp through AWD don't get you much..

I opted not to get a turbo wrx for reliability purposes..
It will need an engine one day and will likely get a stock replacement or an eg33 flat 6 for reliable power in my dreams..

I don't really care that it's rusty, dd driving a clean car here is throwing cash into the wind, especially in the winter.. As long as it's structurally sound I'll keep beating on it and look at it as a parts collection towards the next body, because this RS has the goodies

I'd recommend a subie to anyone that wants a winter DD..
I think it's the best I've ever driven for DD performance in winter, 2 tracks, and bad dirt roads, very stable..

I put an e36 318is stick with lsd through 2 winters and I have to say that was much more fun than the subie, but the subie doesn't get stuck...

Dan.. Me, I'd run for my life from a "High mileage Cayenne Turbo" because, I don't know because I haven't looked into it, but reliability/high maintenance alarm bells ring the sound of bankruptcy to a guy like me over an auto like that

I bet it's a blast though!!!
Is it as fast in a straight line as your CGT? Are they at all high mileage reliable?

Enough rant for a bit..

Oh, and winterforce tires have been the best I've had for winter I think..
Got the current set of tall Coopers for $40 off a kia and they work fine..
Have only ran 2 sets of snows on the subie both the same coopers but 205/55s and now 205/65s (iirc).. Sold the 55s for $100
The craig  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ere is mine too hot in summer to drice without AC
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye bye, Blue Lemon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: