Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

More lowering issues. Need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: More lowering issues. Need help Reply with quote

Well when I got serious about lowering the front end to match the 3" rear drop, I discovered that (with the present Paragon lowering springs) I have just about 1.5" of shock travel before bottoming out the Billstein Sports struts. So lowering it 3" isn't possible as configured.

As background, it's a 1979 NA that I built to run Bonneville. At present it peaked at 142 and we're targeting 150+. I'm maxed in the engine departemnt and have very limited aero changes that I can make in my class. So to get it going faster, I have get it a lot closer to the ground.

To address the necessary lowering target it looks as though I'll either need to find a strut with a shorter body, or (better choice) a means by which to raise the upper strut mount. Does anyone here know of that strut or a upper mount kit that accomplishes that goal?
Rick
Great Lakes SCCA SM points champion '09,'10,'11
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the GAZ struts really short? Ive heard so at least. Maybe they could give you some measurements?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What top mount you using? Some flat top mountings waste an inch or two suspension travel.
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
What top mount you using? Some flat top mountings waste an inch or two suspension travel.

I'm using the stock top mounts and after talking to Koni, they advised that I could safely trim 2" off the (4") bump stops without risking bottoming out the shocks. With that adjustment made, I now have the front end pretty much at the target ride height and actually have a decent amount of compression travel. Fortunately the camber adjustment excentrics were sufficient to get me to zero degrees camber! While that wouldn't do for road course racing, for LSR use, it's just what I need.
BTW, I did find that Ground Control makes an adjustable camber plate that would have given me some additional space had it been necessary. Hopefullly I won't need to spend that $435, but if I find that the too much caster is lost due to that max camber adjustment, I can use that device to get it back.
Rick
Great Lakes SCCA SM points champion '09,'10,'11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: