Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Who has installed a lager turbo??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean in front of the belts, I mean just enough in front of the factory position so that it clears the steering thing.
You can always move it to the intake side like the GTR cars have it.
WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're heading in the right direction with EFR and twinscroll.

Not easy, especially with RHD but should be a beast when complete

You'll get fantastic response. Just keep header I.D. size reasonable; don't go big or you'll just lose response.

Agree with Cedric; don't get too hung-up on equal length as keeping the pulse energy separate is the important thing.
The craig  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine that i have made up it still needs finishing but it puts the the turbo in frint of the enginevehere you dont want it
URL=http://s187.photobucket.com/user/_ckb/media/20160416_150711_zpsnqeno7wg.jpg.html][/URL]

morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks pretty good...only downside is you're putting a lot of strain on the head studs with that big overhang of the turbo.
WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice manifold. You can always add extra overhead turbo support/brace later.

Which Garrett are you using?
Paulyy  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try get as equal length as i can with same amount of bends with out pulling my hair out, but i do understand the concept with split pulsing.

Nice work Craig,

If it was a street car, i would have just put it in front and not worried about it to much. But because track car, I want ducting out from the radiator to the bonnet so trying to keep as much space at the front free. Also Less weight at the front of the engine. Not like it'll make much of a difference but i suppose it will help.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=384410#384410
951 - 400whp.
The craig  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys my first attempt at a manifold so I was happy with the result
I am looing at additional bracing as there is a lot of leverage there
it a Garrett GTX 2863
pauly sorry not trying to hijack your thread
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a EFR 6258 on mine in pretty much the standard location. Original thought was in fact to do an equal length manifold but it just wouldn't fit. After tons of research, I just decided to make the most compact manifold I could because the added benefits of an equal length system are so small, that even if it was tuned, they don't out weigh the headache of making it fit.

Heres what I came up with:

The 6258 uses a T25 flange so while I didn't "need" to make it a twin scroll, I designed the manifold to behave like one. Hence why cylinder 4's pipe comes up and over and meets up with cylinder 1 before the merge.
WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your set-up is sweet lildude, love it
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lildude4life wrote:
I put a EFR 6258 on mine in pretty much the standard location. Original thought was in fact to do an equal length manifold but it just wouldn't fit. After tons of research, I just decided to make the most compact manifold I could because the added benefits of an equal length system are so small, that even if it was tuned, they don't out weigh the headache of making it fit.

Heres what I came up with:

The 6258 uses a T25 flange so while I didn't "need" to make it a twin scroll, I designed the manifold to behave like one. Hence why cylinder 4's pipe comes up and over and meets up with cylinder 1 before the merge.

...And he is on the board! One of these days, hopefully soon, we shall hook up so you can give me a ride in that beast (please?). Very cool car to see at 92Forty. I still am amazed you made in time
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike9311 wrote:
...And he is on the board! One of these days, hopefully soon, we shall hook up so you can give me a ride in that beast (please?). Very cool car to see at 92Forty. I still am amazed you made in time

Indeed, that was an EPIC effort to make it there and back with no incidents!!! As I recall, wrenches were still flying until nearly the moment of departure on Saturday morning!

I still need my ride too...
Paulyy  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just noticed the 924 turbos have their sparkplugs on the other side?

Some interesting takes on turbo placements.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=384410#384410
951 - 400whp.
lildude4life  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Mike9311 wrote:

Indeed, that was an EPIC effort to make it there and back with no incidents!!! As I recall, wrenches were still flying until nearly the moment of departure on Saturday morning!

I still need my ride too...

Not only were wrenches flying, but I brought my entire tool box with me in the chase car in case I broke down. Tow straps too!

But don't worry guys, I'll get everyone rides at some point.

Back to the subject matter at hand, for anyone interested in EFR turbos, Borg has a cool turbo "matchbot" program to do turbo sizing if you are not familiar. The 7064 is the more commonly used turbo in 2L applications but I wasn't looking for gratuitous amounts of boost or hp. Here's what I used for input numbers. Are they accurate? Meh they're probably decently close. VE is probably too high (ok maybe way to high but I do have a stage 1 turbo cam), and flow resistances could probably be lower, especially the exhaust seeing as I have 3" pipe from the turbo to the CAT.

At the boost levels I wanted to run the turbo map looked great with all 3 high end points right in the sweet spot (currently running only 10psi). The only issue is I wen't with the internal waste gate setup and I am pretty much maxing it out as it can flow about 40% so I would highly suggest going external if you do use the 6258. The 7064 has a larger waste gate so it can flow plenty more.

Ya theres no way I'm making close to 300hp
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, why use all these retarded units, i thought we left that 1799

Numbers looks reasonable, but back pressure after turbine is really high, will you run with a cat? Should be easy to have half that number. Compressor looks like its a bit on the large side, but it will give you some really good top end.

To bad I dont have the turbine/compressor maps for this one, then Ive could have run them on my 931 GT-power simulation model ive been working on. I will dig around a bit..

i think you will easily reach 300, its doable on a GTS spec engine with #8/2670 KKK so should be a breeze with the much higher efficiency the EFR provides (and without Kjet flap).
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have probably seen it, but ill put it here just to get some extra motivation in the garage:

Joakim.S 924 turbo 445hp with BW EFR turbo, engine dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maae0lF1mXs&t=8s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: