Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

restart anxiety

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: restart anxiety Reply with quote

Backstory: 15 year old son and i bought project '87 924s, engine was seized, got it freed up, after much effort got it running and driving, not great but okay, then we had a fuel leak and a fire.
Pulled engine, new harness, many new bits, discovered car has an '84 engine.

Restarted the last couple days and it fires right up, lots of lifter noise (research says that's not too uncommon on an engine that hasn't been run in a while).
oil pressure gauge was pegged at 5 so I thought I had reversed the wires, so I swapped 'em.

We ran it for about 4 minutes. Idle got a bit erratic, temp gauge barely moved but the cam box seemed really really warm, oil pressure gauge was still pegged at 5. Shut it down. Pulled oil filter, it was full of warm oil. Pulled a plug on the cam box and it was oily but not a ton. Decided to fire it up for a few seconds with the plug out. I can see oil in there but there wasn't a mist or a spray. I don't know if there should be.
Anyway, looking for advice. I don't want to trash the motor after all this effort. If it isn't already trashed.
I did not verify timing but I can't imagine there'd be a reason for that too have changed. We didn't tear into the engine at all.
Taking all ideas.
I'm going to verify timing but I don't know what to do next. I don't like running it with all this uncertainty.
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cars typically run at 5 bars of oil pressure, especially when cold.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! These injectors can be really loud and a lot of people mistake them for lifter noise. If you have oil in your cam tower and there are no leaks, it might just be the injectors.

I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything sounds normal to me.

Run it some more and the lifter noise should get better.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, that's reassuring, the cam box got really warm really fast though
Does anyone know which wire goes to which side of the oil pressure sensor? I get the same results either way, Clark's said it pegs out at 5 if it's wrong, I get that either way.

Is there an easy way to verify oil pressure? I'm nervous. I have a tester but no idea if there's a place to plumb it in. My faith in the OEM one isn't very strong.
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue/white wire is for the gauge and it goes to 'G' on the sender. The blue/black wire is for the oil light and it connects to the 'WK' post.

G and WK are stamped into the sender, the posts are different sizes and the wires have different terminals, so they should not be able to be swapped. The Blue and black wire for the light has a spade terminal.

I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
The Blue/white wire is for the gauge and it goes to 'G' on the sender. The blue/black wire is for the oil light and it connects to the 'WK' post.

G and WK are stamped into the sender, the posts are different sizes and the wires have different terminals, so they should not be able to be swapped. The Blue and black wire for the light has a spade terminal.

I hope that helps!

Thanks
either fits on either post, one is on a spade but I didn't notice that when I took it apart, just undid both nuts, thinking you can't mix 'em up they should be different sizes like the coil. I'll try to see if if I can find the stampings on the thing but it's pretty invisible now everything's back together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: