Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

stripped crossmember bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpasko  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: stripped crossmember bolts Reply with quote

ok it's official. somehow or another, despite being, optimistically, generally-not-an-idiot, i managed to very-idiot my way to stripped front cross-member/chassis bolts.

no, i don't know how. and yes, those ones, the ones welded into their own welded boxes themselves welded onto the frame.

for better or worse (read: worse) in my frustrated-as-hell state, I impact-drove the nuts off, stripping the threads with the thought/hope that I could maybe retap at a smaller diam and get something on there secure enough to at least get it to a shop and so forth.

not sure what to do at this point, as it's a '78 924...could mayyyyybe sell for 2k on a good day, with bolts intact...at this point is she doomed for the dump? do i have any recourse at this point that isn't annoying as hell?

also: watch this space for potential parting out soon accordingly.

*sigh*
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped a trans mounting point and there was enough material to go over size larger and retap. Also, Dan has used rivnuts for a moderately loaded application in the same area without problems.
kpasko  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rasta. no threads left on them, down to center bolt diam, as my more patient and delicate efforts didn't make any progress either tightening or loosening.

rivnuts may work...do you think they'd be strong enough for the four front crossmember mounts?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some rivnuts are quite beefy depending on material, and those bolts I don't think are that tight.

Having said that, I'd wllalso think it should be fairly easy to cut that section from a parts car and weld it into yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: