Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Appropriate rear brake upgrade for 4 lug?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
The idea is NOT to lock up the wheels.
Yes but a good braking system should allow you to lock them up and then the next component to share the responsibility are the tires & the ground. Don't you agree?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert in brakes systems but I've never locked the brakes of any 924 unless on wet surface nomatter how hard i stomped the pedal. To be honest the most impressive brakes i've ever seen are the M030 big reds i have on my GTS wannabe, it outbrakes modern sport saloons from high speeds...on dry surfaces ofcourse...but those as well i have never locked unless it was on wet pavement.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am critical of ALL CARS coming from my late 944 because it is an engineering marvel and the brakes are sensational- easily twice the power of *my* 924s. I wish I could drive other 924s to compare.

I can handle the lack of engine performance, but the brakes aren't good enough. Bad brakes SUCK.

With the '44 I have locked up the brakes (very briefly) at higher than normal hiway speeds on a couple of occasions. A deer once and another time it was because of another driver not respecting my right-of-way. And yet a third time at slower speeds. In all three instances I was driving faster than I *should* be, but in all three situations the brakes saved the car & myself from physical damage.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, Gramps is an early one isnt he? Thats the actual problem...unless you didnt refresh the brake fluid and you're running water
How about upgrading the booster and master cylinder to later 924 ones..also used on 944s. That should make the brakes behave comparable to your 944. Ask Leigh to send you a 931 booster and master cyl, swap it in..refresh the brake fluid and get cracking.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my old '80 931 I did nothing more than refresh the entire system, rebuilt calipers, new pads, new master etc.,otherwise it was an M471 stock set up. A few time I hit the brakes at high speeds out of necessity and it damn near put me through the windshield. The factory 5-lugs from the M471 package are MORE than enough for any 924. They may be smaller than the big reds or 951 big blacks but since the car weighs 500 lbs lighter they work almost as well.

Me....Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: