Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1980 Porsche 924 Restoration - Finally Coming Together!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j03k64  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: 1980 Porsche 924 Restoration - Finally Coming Together! Reply with quote

Finally, getting around to posting some restoration progress!

I spent last fall teaching myself and later with input from a friend how to go about doing bodywork and paint. Decided on Geysirgrau for the colour - featured on the 50th Anniversary Edition 911 and charcoal gray bumper paint for the rims, which blushes to a modern gray. Found a new windscreen from PPG. My father patiently blasted the invincible black coating off a set of spare OEM 924 rims. Some much needed help from people on this forum. We've been making sure everything is in proper order before going for start-up. Still needs an alignment, stereo, badged, and some fancy silver trim rims to set it off.

The goal was to create a 'purist', yet modern interpretation of the Porsche 924 as a daily driver. Around the time I started the body work on this restoration, the head gasket on my 79 finally let go after 16 years of ownership. I was away in Melbourne, Australia for a few years; it sat on jacks and apparently took it personally. That one is next...

Cheers to all of you for helping this come together!

First, let's string together a few threads together...

Start Here - Purchase, post-purchase head gasket death, engine rebuild:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38836&highlight=

The Worst Control Arms in 924 History:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37671&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Heater Core Replacement:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=346011#346011

Braking System:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=40924&highlight=

Now for some photos!

Before:

Body Work:

Restored Engine, Interior and Wheels:

First Time in the Sunlight!

Last edited by j03k64 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build!!!! Extremely pretty.

Great to see another one saved from the heap.

Cheers!

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Defender405  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful car. Love the color combination. How is the interior?

1979 924 N/A
1975 MGB
1991 Infiniti M30
1987 300ZX Turbo
j03k64  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The interior is in mixed shape despite being partially restored, the rear quarter panel covers are shot, vinyl curtain pull is still brown in color, drivers seat rail comes unlocked, normal wear and tear on the seats.

Photobucket broke all of my links (site wide) as of this morning; switching to IMGUR.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good effort !
j03k64  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Sebring' wheels that were on the car initially, they are marked ATS on the outside of the rim. They have the long acorn type lugs. Does anyone know if they are original to the car or aftermarket?
Johnny_Haywire  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work, man! It looks really sharp. Nice XJ in the background, as well!
michaelodonnell123  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. Love that Jag too.
2012 Fiat 500
j03k64  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!

Now to just get it running and all the electrical gremlins out of it!

No fuel to the front. Jumped DME it shows 11.35v to the rear, put the fresh relay in and it's totally dead. Assuming something's not grounding properly or grounding to the wrong spot...

The old man's pretty keen to have an XKE in the restoration shop; got the Jag for the Borg rear-end and motor.
Johnny_Haywire  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on chasing down the grounds. Hopefully that clears it up. I cleaned up as many as I could find on mine and they were all pretty corroded. Also had to replace the positive battery connector. Even though it looked fine, it was a massive bottleneck and kept getting hot when the car was running (in case you come across that problem).

Drop me a line if you need any early E-type parts. I have a set of Smiths gauges and Lucas switchgear from a '62 Mk X (same as Series 1 E-type except for a few differences in the speedo) and a handful of 3.8 engine bits (triple SU HD8 carbs, cam covers, distributor, etc.).
j03k64  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viral pneumonia has been trying to drown me for a month or so. I'm finally feeling up to being upside down under the dash!

I have the mirrors off from painting and the cooling fan harness was cut to bits by previous owners. I wonder if that's causing the voltage drop to the fuel pump and or ground issue. Oddly enough, it ran when the fans were grounded. I'm not the best electrician. I thought there might be some 'floating resistance' via the ground that's not being met due to an incomplete system that's causing the issue...

Thanks Jonny_Haywire! We're unfortunately missing the E type. We offered three of my father's cars for one last week. We're all getting older and the garage is getting a bit full; trying to get him to spice things up a bit. The deals floating; fingers crossed?
Johnny_Haywire  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you kicked that pneumonia. Does not sound like a picnic at all.

I'm dealing with the same s*&t here, just in different areas. The center stack gauges on mine as well as the mirror switches have been messed with, so they all kind of half work, but are probably the least of my headaches right now. Good luck, man. I feel your pain.

And good luck as well securing the E-type! I think if one entered my stable, it would never leave...
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used those Starfire tires on my Mazda 6. They grip really well.

Last edited by nickthompson on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
j03k64  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror system is a nightmare. I actually looked at it today while trying to sort out the mirror selection switch that goes in the console - I feel your pain as well!

I'm glad to hear the Starfire tires are good! Keen to try them out!

Solved the fuel pump issue. Others might find this information useful.

It would pump jumped, wouldn't pump with the new relay/s in, the grounds check out; leaving the tach signal and the 16 service black wire as the potential issues.

I thought weak signal to the fuel pump relay might be causing the relay to not close the circuit and energize the fuel pump. I rebuilt both battery leads, cleaned up the coil posts and wiring, replaced all the rusted or corroded bolts and connector hardware; lots of dielectric grease. No pump...

The secondary fuse rail is a bit odd, the last few on the right are jumped together with giant wires, which I thought as a bit strange (7 & 9 are missing) - power windows? Any thoughts?

This diagram may also pose helpful to others trying to figure out what's going on with their electrics.

I got sick of the bogan wiring mess under the dash and cut out anything that didn't looks factory. I cleaned and dielectric greased all the fuse mounts, replaced every single fuse bus in the car except the 25amp (none on hand). Still no go on the fuel pump.

Tach wiring... I almost got absolutely killed by it the other day; turns out the ground/black wire were on backwards when I got the car and I had re-assembled it this way. That information is extremely difficult to find on the internet and the Haynes manual is of limited use in actually attaching the wires to the gauge, so I'll save anyone else who has this question the headache.

Proper tachometer wiring for the Porsche 924 VDO tach is as follows:
+12 is the Black wire
1 is the Green wire
- is the Brown (ground) wire

DO NOT set the tach on the windshield wiper lever or it will potentially try to fry you if one turns the ignition on; especially if wired incorrectly and tampering with the fuel pump relay circuit!

Also, make sure you disconnect the main fuel feed line at the CIS and purge the line from the tank to the motor using the pump to prevent old fuel and 'nasties' from fouling your CIS. I found contamination (solids) in the fuel catch can after testing the new pump. It could be an expensive and unpleasant mistake; heed the warning!

All that, and the bloody thing still won't pump!

Then it hit me. The relay, wiring, fuse bus, ground and hotty black wire are all good. Things that are hot are super hot after cleaning, things that are not hot are dead at 0v.

It must be the aftermarket relay's circuitry is too insensitive to pick up the tach pulse and trigger the pump; thus cranking the engine should send a stronger tach signal to the relay and energize the fuel pump.

I put the relay back in, attach the battery, fuel catch can is in place.
Cranked it over.
We have fuel pumping to the front!!

Seriously? Put a fraking note in the box KAE...

NOTICE: If you're replacing your fuel pump DME relay with the widely available KAE 3.300.300 unit (seen below). It will only pump fuel if you crank the motor over; assuming the rest of the system is intact and functional. Any idea why they've chosen to do this? I personally like priming the fuel system prior to cranking... it's my imaginary choke.

Has anyone tried using the KAE 3.300.100 unit? If so, what was the result? It's the older style (fuse on-board) non-DME unit, correct? Can it be used on the DME setup (the secondary fuse board would simply act as a safety in that respect). I'd be interested to know if it restores the previous configuration or not.

We're going to attempt to start it tomorrow! Fingers crossed!

Last edited by j03k64 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
brian19600  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, what your describing is the way it is supposed to be. No turning over of engine=no pulses=no pumping of fuel.
Helps prevent your car from turning into an inferno after an accident.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: