Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924t conversion to 97 vw golf motronic efi under way

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrpink  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: 924t conversion to 97 vw golf motronic efi under way Reply with quote

After much thought and planning the conversion has begun. Basically I'm removing the dreaded cis, by me at least. And installing the harness and computer for a 98 vw golf 2.0l Aba. I've done this before when I installed an Aba into my 77 rabbit. Unfortunately it's much easier in the rabbit bec. The motor was also installed. So let's get to the good stuff.

The plan:
1. Install the standalone, standalone meaning the engine controls are completely separate from the body harness, motronic engine management from the vw into the 924t
2. Add a c2 motorsports turbo chip to the ecu
3. Add 42lbs injectors
4. Add intercooler
5. Crank the boost!

What's needed
1 compete vw Aba engine harness, the fuse box forward preferably 96 and up OBDII from a vw/jetta with a 2.0l motor. Auto or manual doesn't matter. Though the manual has less wires to deal with. Paid $50 everything for the local. Pick and pull
2. Aba distributor
3. Fuel rail and injectors. 42lbs for this application
4. Custom 60-1 trigger wheel and mount and crank position sensor. Sensor must come from the available engine.
5. Conversion AN fittings metric to 3/8 barbed and 3/8th push lock full line
6. Fuel. Pressure regular. Used the stock ada
7. Throttle body from the Aba or vr6. Not 100% sure the vw will work but I'm pretty sure it will
8. Intake from an 81 924t or custom adaptor or custom intake

That's everything. You should be about to source everything plus the custom work, which I will describe for around 600 max!

Preston all opinion
You'll be able to ditch that horribly inefficient cis for modern 100% reliable electronic injection on the cheap! I'm sure some will agree with me cis is this or that but it won't come close to the efficiency levels this system will provide.

Modifications needed.
1. The distributor. Both dissys are almost identical but...... The Aba dissys is a bit bigger where it bolts into the housing. The drive gear is bigger also.
A. So... You'll need to take the dissys to a machine shop and have them make the mounting points on the Aba match the 924t. This cost me $45
B. The drive gear is bigger on the Aba dissys. Drill out the roll pins on both distributors, remove the 924 drive gear and install it on the Aba dissys. Install new roll pin. You can get the correct roll pin from tectonic tuning.com or McMaster car. I'll update the part number later.
D. Install the dissys at tdc

OK that's done

2. Fuel rail. I ordered mine from a member on the board but I've read of many other ways to get that done. This part is up to you, sorry lol.
A. Fell pressure regulator. I used the adaptor sold by rossmachineracing.com which allows the stock vw/Bosch fpr to be bolted to the fuel rail. Just seemed to keep things with simple theme. I payed $70 for the adaptor and fittings.
B. Remove the old cis fuel injector cups from the head, they are theraded in. When you remove the cups I can guarantee there will be excess plastic stuck in the threads. Good luck removing the excess, it took me hours to clean the threads enough to get the new cups in. Buy the correct tap and save yourself hours of work!
C. I did have problems getting the fuel injectors into the cups that came with the fuel rail. I couldn't get the fuel injector seal in the seat. I decide to use the plastic cups from a 98 vw passat 1.8t engine code aeb. They need to be trimmed at the top just a little then they screw right in.
D. Get some 3/8 fuel line and attach everything. I'll have pic of my setup soon, may have to link it to pelican parts bec I don't have image hosting

The easy stuff is done now let's really get to work!

3. The crank position sensor.
A. The motronic system requires crank position relative to the cam position, high-tech for the distributor which really isn't a distributor in this case. So we need to add the 60-1 trigger wheel and sensor. Unfortunately the 60-1 wheel is too large to fit behind the lower crank pulley and no one and I mean no one makes this for a 924 but me lol
The only to way add the wheel, at least I found, is to make a spacer that will hold the trigger wheel in front of the crank pulley. Again off to eBay and the machine shop. The trigger wheel can be bought from 034motorsports.com it comes in a kit, they are willing to split the kit up as it comes with parts we don't need You'll need the wheel with the smaller center hole so it can be centered on the custom spacer you'll be making.

Computer is dying l'll continue tomorrow
If you would like pics email me at njmotorwerks@gmail.com
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, a great post ! I was wondering if there is a quicker and maybe cheaper way of converting to EFI than soldering your own harness and spending months trying to start and do a basic tuneup.
I bet this aproach cuts a major chunk of time and you'll be enjoying the car quite soon.

But dont be so quick to judge the CIS system.
My cars have correctly functional CIS systems and they get great mileage(quite comparable to modernly injected 1.6L-1.8L cars), offer great AFR troughout the range and have never failed me yet in 13 years...this is from 30+ years old injection systems.
Mrpink  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Cis Reply with quote

I totally agree cis works great and works great for a long time. Ive been working on vw's since cis was put on A1 chassis in 77. I just cant imaging hotrodding a car in the year 2014 with 1980's tech especially when modern upgrades are so inexpensive. I understand if the builder is putting together a period correct car, Just my opinion, to each their own
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the system fully tunable? What software do you use?
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cis Reply with quote

Mrpink wrote:
I totally agree cis works great and works great for a long time. Ive been working on vw's since cis was put on A1 chassis in 77. I just cant imaging hotrodding a car in the year 2014 with 1980's tech especially when modern upgrades are so inexpensive. I understand if the builder is putting together a period correct car, Just my opinion, to each their own

Tottally agree with you, i'm actually thinking of converting my modified 924(the one in the last days pictures and i think even today) to EFI...but its a hard choice since its working so well
There is a rule in engineering, if it aint broke, dont fix it

Whats the advance and fueling capabilities of this system you're going to use? Does it have the standard tables and correction tables?
For the red car i'm looking to remove some detonation under WOT and above 1bar boost.
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good, we need a write up on a turbo car. And just so they are linked, here is a sort of 'how to' a guy did on a NA car using a VW Digifant system.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=35890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: