Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Another Dash Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhillgard  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Another Dash Repair Reply with quote

Decided I would try to fix my cracked dash in a similar way to what other people on this board have described. This dash was the worst of my cars' so I decided to try it first. It was a full day of work,and is not a perfect looking dash now, but is a monumental improvement from what I started with.

The filler I used is called Norton Speedgrip Structural Adhesives Plastic Repair Skim Plus, and was described as being a sandable and flexible material. However once the two parts of this epoxy were mixed they set up incredibly fast, only allowing about 1 minute for it to still be worked into the cracks, meaning I had to fill them about half a crack at a time.

The paint was SEM Color Coat Cordovan Brown and was a very close match to the original color. And after sanding the repairs they were very smooth, so without a coat of spray on truck bed liner to retexture it, the repairs would have been incredibly obvious.

Before, with the one crack widened and a test spot of the filler.

The finished product:

All in all not a bad job, but the way the foam heaved around the cracks is still noticeable, so maybe with a different filler that doesn't set up so quickly it would have been nicer to cut the cracks wider and feather edge around them further. Here's hoping it lasts!
snakoil  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't look too bad
A trick I learned to avoid these bumps where the cracks used to be: you need to cut the crack in a V shape.
It makes it look way worst at first as the small crack lines end up being big V gaps but once you fill then it allows you to sand it down to align it very good.
mikeycrum14  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Dash Repair Reply with quote

are there any defroster vents or does it just turn down into the dash?
1987 300zx Turbo - Also White
1991 Miata - White field find
1987 924S - Alpine White, Offroader Build, possible future TDI swap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: