Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1980 Turbo removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clbmkr1  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: 1980 Turbo removal Reply with quote

I have followed the Haynes manual procedure for turbo removal and the task has been moving forward as expected.
Now, I have all of the nuts and bolts removed from the turbo. It's loose, but I can't get it off of the exhaust manifold studs.
The manual says to unbolt the turbo mounting bracket, but I'm not sure why. I have the two, (of the 3?) bolts out of the bracket and I can get a wrench on the third, but it slips off when I apply pressure. Plus, when, if, I do get it out I wonder if I'll ever be able to get it back in.
I've been dabbling with this for 2-3 months now and really want to complete the job before the Wi. winter sets in.

Advice?
2013 Ford Escape
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Turbo removal Reply with quote

Clbmkr1 wrote:
I have followed the. . .procedure. . .The manual says to unbolt the turbo mounting bracket, but I'm not sure why. . .I can't get it off of the exhaust manifold studs.

The answer lies within the question, grasshopper.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 Turbo removal Reply with quote

Clbmkr1 wrote:
I have followed the Haynes manual procedure for turbo removal and the task has been moving forward as expected.
Now, I have all of the nuts and bolts removed from the turbo. It's loose, but I can't get it off of the exhaust manifold studs.
The manual says to unbolt the turbo mounting bracket, but I'm not sure why. I have the two, (of the 3?) bolts out of the bracket and I can get a wrench on the third, but it slips off when I apply pressure. Plus, when, if, I do get it out I wonder if I'll ever be able to get it back in.
I've been dabbling with this for 2-3 months now and really want to complete the job before the Wi. winter sets in.

Advice?

First off you have to get the whole exhaust out of the way, and pull the exhaust manifold-turbo bolts..

There are 2 allen cap like nuts that attach the turbo to the block mount where the oil feed comes in, remove the oil feed and those 2 Allen cap nuts.

Then there are 4 bolts that mount the block mount to the block, pulling the turbo off of the block and the exhaust manifold should be the last thing you do, get all the bolts out/loose that you can for wiggle room, those block mount to block bolts can be hard to get at..

First you need to make sure you have EVERYTHING else off the turbo including the oil lines and all plumbing, get it as loose as you can.

You may be able to remove the turbo from the block mount and get it out the front, you should at least be able to get it pretty loose off the block mount in order to gain access to the block mount to block bolts.

With the big original compressor housing you may have to move the sway bar and steering rack to get the turbo out the front, my first time I completely removed the say bar and took the right front tie rod off the spindle, and unbolted the rack to move it out of the way..

Advice? Be patient, it is possible, but pretty much the hardest job to do on a 931, if you can accomplish this then you can accomplish anything on the car..
Clbmkr1  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
I'm at that last step. Exhaust, wastegate, air intake, fuel, tie rod, steering gear, starter, etc. are all out.
Yes, the 4 (?) Mounting bolts are hard to get to. Getting them back in will be a joy also. But, I guess I forge ahead and find a way to get them out.

Thanks for the support.
2013 Ford Escape
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clbmkr1 wrote:
Mounting bolts are hard to get to. Getting them back in will be a joy also.

Deep offset box FTW:

Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer pulling the motor to do this job....
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I prefer pulling the motor to do this job....

Yup.

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
brealytrent  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed and installed an early turbo multiple times without the need for removing the engine, sway bar or crossmember. A nice thing about the turbo in this car is that the turbine end can be loosened and rotated. This makes it much easier to remove it from a mounted motor. This also helps when remounting it in the car, as it helps all mounting surfaces to match up such as the oil line/mounting bracket and exhaust manifold.

Of note, I've had no issues with a loss of boost or such issues afterwards. Then again, this is a relatively fresh rebuilt turbo being used. Properly re-torquing the bolts is still possible once in the car.
2016 Ford Fiesta ST - sold
2009 Porsche Cayman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: