Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Current 931 price
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Current 931 price Reply with quote

Looks like $3651 will get you a decent S2 931. Somewhat disheartening but that's eBay. Any old Porsche is just worth what the buyer who wants it most is willing to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281880613605
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching that car on CL for 6 months since it's local to me. It was originally listed for $9K, and has been slowly reduced to $6K the last time it was on CL. Then he put it on FleaBay with no reserve.

I almost bid on it, except there's nothing particularly noteworthy about it, and it needs body work. The photos don't really show it, but the driver side fender has been crunched, and according to his description, the hood was damaged too. And the driver seat needs repaired. If the car were undamaged, he'd have probably fetched $5-$6K. But there's at least $5K in body work and paint for anyone who wants the car to be right.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
I've been watching that car on CL for 6 months since it's local to me. It was originally listed for $9K, and has been slowly reduced to $6K the last time it was on CL. Then he put it on FleaBay with no reserve.

I almost bid on it, except there's nothing particularly noteworthy about it, and it needs body work. The photos don't really show it, but the driver side fender has been crunched, and according to his description, the hood was damaged too. And the driver seat needs repaired. If the car were undamaged, he'd have probably fetched $5-$6K. But there's at least $5K in body work and paint for anyone who wants the car to be right.

I should have known you had a eye on it Agreed on the paint and body. I noted the interior looked pretty decent least the dash cover. Interiors can look good in an ad but smell and feel awful however.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK price expectations are somewhat higher to US values. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-924-Turbo-Appreciating-Asset-/272078834403?hash=item3f59298ae3:g:spEAAOSwZ1lWcV2o However they are far more rare here
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
UK price expectations are somewhat higher to US values. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-924-Turbo-Appreciating-Asset-/272078834403?hash=item3f59298ae3:g:spEAAOSwZ1lWcV2o However they are far more rare here

Converts to $17,443 USD. I suspect it would be hard to get $10,000 for that car here but it's very nice. That's the first 931 I've seen with the 361 mm steering wheel.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one?
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5358563983.html
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this one:
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5348505420.html
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both appropriately priced. Although I'd think the OK car has more value if the sport group 1 claim is true. I like the color on the Chicago car though. I think that's what mine wants to be.
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Current 931 price Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
Looks like $3651 will get you a decent S2 931. Somewhat disheartening but that's eBay...

You must bear in mind that US cars were pretty severely detuned and had the styling ruined by the bumpers and side markers.

Also -and this is just a general sense, having lived most of my adult life in a country that not only had "Euro" models but a more "European" attitude towards the car... if such a thing is possible -it seems in the U.S. that the cars were genuinely considered "cheap" and "not real Porsches" and all that.

It seems that were always relatively inexpensive in the U.S. and hence were not taken care of.

Certainly in the U.K. and Germany (and I'm guessing in most other European countries), cars must be kept to a reasonably high standard if you want to use them on the road.

And they were never "cheap".

So, over there, they tend to be in much better condition, generally more well regarded and absolutely better looking and more powerful.

I still have a pretty strong feeling that the values of these cars will rise (they could hardly get any lower ) and there are some hints that they may have already.

But I just can't see that they'll ever be quite as valuable in the U.S. (and Canada, for that matter) as they already are in Europe.
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
Although I'd think the OK car has more value...

Yes, maybe...

BUT there's a good chance you'll spend thousands more getting it up to the condition of the green '81. The '81 looked to have a well above average interior compared to most U.S. cars. The limited slip snail shell is one of the most desirable features of the OK '80 S but also one of the most suspect to need real money. No mention about shifting in the listing. I always assume that the snail shell needs at least a mild rebuild. Before all you snail devotees unload on me about how strong a well maintained snail shell is (and I agree btw), please note Khal's comments below.

How was the new Star Wars movie?

Khal wrote:
-it seems in the U.S. that the cars were genuinely considered "cheap" and "not real Porsches" and all that.

It seems that were always relatively inexpensive in the U.S. and hence were not taken care of.

Nailed it.

And because of this, the vast majority of U.S. cars are wrecks compared to the 924's bringing good money in Europe.

Hey Khal, not a peep about F1 this past year? Was it because Hamilton had it sewn up early? Lew-is! Lew-is! Lew-is!
C'mon, where's the spirit? Have hope, your boy Vettel and Ferrari look to be even stronger next year.
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz guy wrote:
Lew-is! Lew-is! Lew-is!
C'mon, where's the spirit?

Urgh

Does anyone else feel that the Boxster is suffering the same fate as the toofah?

Relatively cheap. Not overly powerful. Sold in incredible numbers. Not particularly well regarded by the cognoscenti. Perhaps even a bit of a parts-bin special...

But hugely entertaining to drive. And lauded for its exceptional handling. Arguably even somewhat practical. And cheap.

I mean, Boxsters were 40k+ when launched twenty years ago. You can now buy a Boxster here for about seven grand (no doubt cheaper in the U.S.).

I got a weird feeling the day will soon come that you can buy a Boxster cheaper than a toofah turbo...
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khal wrote:
I got a weird feeling the day will soon come that you can buy a Boxster cheaper than a toofah turbo...

You can today, at least in europe
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMS failure is killing the value of 986/987. And people complain about the expense of maintaining a 931.
Khal  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Khal wrote:

You can today, at least in europe

Ha! Crazy.

You can find a Boxster in the U.S. for maybe €5,500. But you'd be lucky to get more than about €2,300 for a toofah turbo. So there's still a way to go.

But early Boxsters don't seem to be going anywhere but down. And pretty catastrophically so, too, I reckon!

It's not that I think toofah turbos will gain huge amounts of value in the very near future, just that Boxsters will become relatively worthless.

ideola wrote:
IMS failure is killing the value of 986/987. And people complain about the expense of maintaining a 931.

Yeah, I've heard about that.

But at a certain price point, it becomes a bit like the toofah... it's only a few grand, who cares if it blows up?! Just buy it, put no money into it, and thrash it to death.
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Christine blew her motor at 89.000, I bought a used low mileage replacement with a warranty for $3500. Installing it was no harder than a 924.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: