Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Vintage Turbo Conversion Documentation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Windblown finally running Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pix of your car! Very nice addition to this thread!

auditurbo2 wrote:
The guy I picked it up from said he had put new rings on it and that he bought rings for a 2.5L. Can someone verify that this is the 2.5? I didn't think that they had a 2.5 back then.
No, you will not be able to use those. The OEM rings are getting very hard to come by. I have one remaining set on the shelf, but we also have TotalSeal rings available now for the NA.

auditurbo2 wrote:
I have a Victor Reinz metal head gasket on the car now. How solid are the bottom ends? Would I be able to run 15 - 20 psi?
The bottom end is not where the problem will lie. They are plenty strong. It's more the head and head gasket that will be the issue. You will not be able to run that much boost without an intercooler or water-meth injection, especially with the NA ignition distributor and the CIS setup. For starters, the NA ignition map is going to be incorrect for a boosted car, especially one running that much boost. Secondly, the CIS fueling curve will be wrong. At minimum, you should try to get one of the 924 Turbo WURs that has the boost enrichment feature. As for intercooling, the easiest way to safely increase boost (probably no more than 12PSI with your current setup) would be to add a Stage 2 water-meth injection kit (increases spray based on boost signal).
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've *finally* acquired a BAE turbo setup. After multiple near misses, I located not one, but two, near-complete setups, both in the Twin Cities area. Neither seller wanted to ship. I made contact with a toofah buddy up there who agreed to pick them up. As it happened, his family had a weekend getaway planned for the Wisconsin Dells area this weekend, so I was able to meet him to pick up the bits and save on shipping.

I have two nearly complete Windblown setups as well. Hope to make some good documentation photos soon. I'm evaluating options for bolting these on to a couple of early NA motors, as well as using the geometry to reproduce a mild steel manifold that could accommodate a modern T4-based turbocharger. There are some interesting similarities and differences between the two systems.

Here's part of one of the Windblown setups:

Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that just begs the question Dan. When do we get to see one of these installed and compared to a 931? Because I'm pretty sure that's the one answer nobody has any more.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to duplicate one of the manifolds. Probably the BAE as it's a bit smaller and lighter.

But I have one of each setup complete, plus extra bits, so I do now have enough stuff to do a full Windblown and a full BAE setup. I'm debating right now about having the vintage turbochargers rebuilt in order to do an accurate historic comparison vs. bolting on a modern ball bearing turbo.

I was reading on the Windblown system, and it seems to be superior in one important way. The weird round thing on the end of the manifold is called a "rotomaster" wastegate, but it works opposite to a conventional wastegate. It allows full boost from low RPM, and as the RPMs increase progressively bleeds off pressure. This has multiple benefits in that it allows a smaller turbo to be used with earlier and higher boost characteristics to help the anemic early motors where they need it most (low RPM torque), and yet progressively bleeds off boost to avoid detonation at higher RPMs. I seem to remember low RPM boost being around 12psi, and bleeding off to less than 6psi at redline. So I'm very anxious to try that kind of a setup.

One of each of these *will* make it onto a car at some point. I currently have a complete NA motor at a machinist waiting for block and head work. I'm planning to use Euro-spec 9.3:1 pistons, so I will probably opt for the BAE setup with smallish turbo and modest boost (no more than 6psi). As of now, I want to put that motor into the Martini car.

I also have the original 78 motor that came out of the DProd tribute car. That will be the basis of a build for the Windblown setup. The most likely recipient for that one at this point is the Weissach car, as it's motor is a bit tired and needs some attention, whereas the Sebring car is pretty solid.

In either case, the original numbers matching motors will be preserved for both the Martini and the Weissach.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BAE maifold that will be interesting to play with, once I get the car back in the garage again so I can begin the install:

Had it Ceramic coated:

Turbo is a Mitsubishi TE04H (I didn't get the original Rajay turbo or any of the piping.) MegaSquirt 2 will control the fuel and ignition, a knock sensor and there will be an intercooler plumbed in.

The exhaust will be interesting to route properly and will likely need to be ceramic coated as well to avoid cooking various delicate items in the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: