Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Problems ever since a wet drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrispyb  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Problems ever since a wet drive Reply with quote

So, still new around here, think this is my second post, but definitely need some help.

Background, bought the car a few weeks ago, and everything was working well until I wound up driving in a pretty heavy rain storm and then everything sort of went to shit. My little red battery light went on, and windshield wipers stopped working

Couple of days later car would still start, though took an extra second or two, and some of the electrics seemed slower and the radio wouldn't necessarily turn on / would die. Red battery light is still glowing.

SO

After looking around, I decided to replace the voltage regulator in the alternator, and checked the belt tension while at it. did that, car turned over still, figured that was that. After it turned over though, it was showing low voltage when on, about 9.5 V. So that's an issue.

Now today, a few days after regulator swap, car won't turn over. Voltage at battery is reading 11 V give or take. So I jump the car and it drives. The battery light is now very dim, looks dimmer when driving, and a little brighter at idle.

then seems to start idling rough after awhile and finally sort of dies and won't start. I thought the oil pressure gauge was reading a little low, so I'm worried, but the oil light didn't turn on. I manage to push start the car, and it seems to run again, and this time I don't let the revs dip at idle. While driving I try to put the window up and it is very slow, and seems to even be sucking power from the car itself.

I get the car back to my parking spot and it dies again. Right before it died I was trying to pump the pedal to keep the revs up, but it didn't seem to do much, like sort of stuttered.

I jump it again, and pull it into the spot and park my other car. Now voltage on the battery reads about 11, and the car seems to make a half hearted attempt to start then nothing. What should I do?

Could a bad battery / alternator also effect the idling issue / throttle not working perfect
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your not charging for some reason and you are running out of electricity for your ignition to make sparks so it dies..

I think you are on the right track with the alternator/regulator and possibly the alternator wiring harness.. Check your battery ground(s) and make sure your engine-chassis grounds are good, also check your battery + wires etc..
chrispyb  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I did note, there is the same voltage drop across the battery, as from the battery positive terminal to the engine block
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No water on the DME or inside the passenger compartment?

It could simply be that your battery is shot, but you'll need to test the alternator either way to be sure.
chrispyb  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car was quite leaky when I drove, coming from the screws around the sunroof where the latches attach.

Where is the DME to check / what should I look for in the battery compartment?

Also, what's the best way to check the battery? I have half a though to connect to the Audi (my dd) and let it idle for a bit, then pull it off and see if it holds charge?
jason c  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrispyb wrote:
The car was quite leaky when I drove, coming from the screws around the sunroof where the latches attach.

Where is the DME to check / what should I look for in the battery compartment?

Also, what's the best way to check the battery? I have half a though to connect to the Audi (my dd) and let it idle for a bit, then pull it off and see if it holds charge?

You need a tester that can check load to test the battery. Many parts stores can/will test it for free.
A battery can have voltage but no amps if a cell is dead. Test the battery, then the alternator for proper output.
The DME is under the steering column.
chrispyb  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New battery, and it seems to be being charged fine by the alternator.

~12.5 V when no on, about 13+ V when car was on.

Now on to replacing the wiper motor.
jason c  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrispyb wrote:
New battery, and it seems to be being charged fine by the alternator.

~12.5 V when no on, about 13+ V when car was on.

Now on to replacing the wiper motor.

Make sure to check for power & grounds at the wiper motor & any other systems you're having trouble with before you start changing parts.
It is possible that bad connections or connectors either at the fuse block or wires running to it are causing multiple failures.
chrispyb  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled the wiper motor, and we could hear it trying to spin, but nothing happening. If I pulled on the wipers with it on, they'd go, but with a lot of help.
chrispyb  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, update time.

Got new wiper motor in, so they work now. Think I need to clean the contacts or replace the relay, as they don't work that well. Intermittent seems to work on the new motor, and slow speed, but no high speed.

Also replaces the voltage regulator and the battery. Battery was charging well and all was good, all electrics worked, but my battery light was still glowing. Then I was driving home the other day and I hit a bump going around a wider right, and I looked down and my battery light turned off. I'll chalk it up to German engineering and self repairing vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: