Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Straight six in 924 II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gegge  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Straight six in 924 II Reply with quote

Inspired by Horizonblue, I am about to do almost the same thing.

The 2.4 I6 is much like a bigger brother to the 2.1 I5 10v with larger displacement and slightly more flow in the head. Since I would like to have a car that is legal my 2 options are diesel or modern injection with catalyst. Carburated in not allowed and therefore not an option. Of course, diesel wasnīt one either... The search for the rare VW LT with the 1E High-Torque engine is still going on. That particular engine had Digifant 1.0 with MAP, very similar to the boosted G60.

Meanwhile, I am building the engine I want. It is based on the strong D24TIC block with oilsquirters and oilreturn from the turbo. If I reduce the compressionheight by 2-3mm the dieselpistons are good enough. Rods and wristpins are the same as 1.6TDI and likely the strongest there are. I bought a brand new petrolhead, ported it to flow better. The injection inletmanifold was not easy to find, but finally I got one. The diesel exhaustmanifold is bolt-on and not that bad. Cast in highquality material and designed not to crack. Divided T3 outlet makes the difference. The turbo arrived today, a Borg Warner S200 with internal WG. Cam will be a regrind profile similar to VW Rabbit GTI MkI. The 36-1 trigger is a stock VAG item found on VW Lupo, integated and replaces the crankseal.

If I remove the turbo and convert to E85 it is legal No need for a stock 1E.

Gearbox is another topic. I got a 951 ready, but since the choice of engine is odd I had to follow that path. Why not an automatic? A 944 box was found and will be collected any day now. The Audi 087 derivative is very strong capable of handling 500hp with ease. There is a thread on how to hotrod your slushbox, and I want to give it a try. A CroMo pump and kevlar brakebands to upgrade the internals.

But I am 1 car short...

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can buy a cheap one in germany..if you cant find a cheap one let me know, there are several projects to choose from in Ro. Starting with 924NAs and ending with 951S
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Looking forward to see the progress on this project.

Do you have any idea on what car you will be using? If I should start from scratch, I would choose a 924S (or 944) because I believe it has a stronger front crossmember with attaching points for the engine.

The straight six engine is too long for using the original 2.0 body mounts, it will hang out too far from the clutch bell housing and create stress in the housing, I think. Letting the engine rest on the cross member is less painfull for the bell housing.

"If you can't fix it, don't break it"

/P.G. Andersen
gegge  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the stock enginemounts canīt be used because of the weight distribution. Instead a solution similar to 924S with the engine resting on the crossmember is the way to go. Both 924 and 924S use the same M10 dimension when it comes to nuts and bolts. Maybe a reinforcement.

Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I wasn't aware that the 924S/944 crossmember is still using M10 bolts (4x) Thought they had switched to M12. In that case, it doesn't make much difference, with regards to the strength of the engine support, which car is being used, as long as the weight of the engine is always supported by 4x M10 bolts.

I've had my engine in the car for approx 2 years now, not driven that much, but still bumpy roads/speedbumps and such. The steel member seems to be holding fine. Nothing to see around the attaching points.

And the straight six engine is not that heavy, I mean, it's not a cast iron V8.

My only concern has been the crossmember. With a 924S that concern would vanish.

But hey, days ago, people installed 944 engines in 924's, on the steel member. I know a few examples.

/P.G. Andersen
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally went overkill with my steel xmember, gusseted the top and sides, reinforced the chassis member welds by plating over the top to relieve stress...
Worse case scenario the engine collapses the member it takes out your steering shaft... If the mount fails the engine will sit on the member...
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 1.8turbo mounted to my steel crossmember but I have not driven it yet but it holds the weigh of the engine and my 200 lbs fat butt.
rusty69911  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the six is the motor it should have come with, looking forward to some pics
gegge  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down-sizing? Not my cup of tea...

That Borg Warner turbo is capable of 450hp and 600Nm @ 2 bar with crazy spool. It has got a good looking billet wheel inside that sandblasted housing.

morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice project !
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's that intake going to fit under the hood?
gegge  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dontīthink the hood is going to be a problem. I am more concerned about the strut tower and right subframe. As a matter of fact, the intake is almost horizontal to the valve cover. Additionally, there allways a CGT scoop to sort that...

The stock engine has got a 40 degree incline to the right and stand 18" tall from the crankcenter to the top of the valve cover. Compared with the inline six 35 degrees and 16". The two questions that do arise are, if there is enough room between the engine and strut tower for the intake. It does protrude a lot. And the BG turbo is massive, even by K27 standard.

Positioning the engine in the bay will answer those questions...

Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be necessary to make an angled adapter between the exhaust manifold and the turbo, to get it closer to the engine and clear the bodywork of the car.

Looking at my installation, there doesn't seem to be enough space for a turbo, when it's mounted directly on the flange.

From the edge of the valve cover to the suspension tower, I can measure 15 cm.

Looking across the front, this is how it looks like.

There is still clearance above the engine. I have the old hood, without the brace in the middle. With the brace, there would probably be trouble.

/P.G. Andersen
gegge  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am 5 cm short...

IIRC was the injection manifold 19cm wide from the valve cover.

morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegge wrote:
I think I am 5 cm short...

sorry for you buddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: