Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Door removal '79 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockhound72  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Door removal '79 924 Reply with quote

Time to get my door panel re welded behind the upper hinge. Is there an eay way to take the doors off? Much easier to weld the torn frame. Also, I am in luck! Someone close is junking their 1983 944. I plan on getting the front and rear panels to swap out as well as a few other bits and pieces. Would like to get the disc brake system and five lug wheels too. Will they be easy to get off? Lastly, what is the easiest way to get the rear side panels off? Are they just bolted on like the front? I can get ALL the panels for about $300. First, I HAVE to fix this door.
jason c  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Door removal '79 924 Reply with quote

rockhound72 wrote:
Time to get my door panel re welded behind the upper hinge. Is there an eay way to take the doors off? Much easier to weld the torn frame. Also, I am in luck! Someone close is junking their 1983 944. I plan on getting the front and rear panels to swap out as well as a few other bits and pieces. Would like to get the disc brake system and five lug wheels too. Will they be easy to get off? Lastly, what is the easiest way to get the rear side panels off? Are they just bolted on like the front? I can get ALL the panels for about $300. First, I HAVE to fix this door.

There are 4 bolts (2 for each hinge) to take the door off, you'll want to disconnect any electrical first though.

The suspension isn't difficult to remove, as long as everything isn't corroded too bad.

The rear quarter panels are welded on, you will likely be in over your head in attempting to replace the rear quarter panels. It would be easier & faster for you to switch everything over to the 944 shell if you want 944 rear quarters.
rockhound72  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the screws on the hinge. That's obvious. The book says there is a special tool. They are metric and on there tight! Just wondered if anyone has taken theirs off and how they did it. I can cut the rear quarter panels and have the others welded. Not a problem. Just wasn't sure if it bolted or not.
jason c  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockhound72 wrote:
I can see the screws on the hinge. That's obvious. The book says there is a special tool. They are metric and on there tight! Just wondered if anyone has taken theirs off and how they did it. I can cut the rear quarter panels and have the others welded. Not a problem. Just wasn't sure if it bolted or not.

They're just called bolts on the early cars & hex bolts on the later cars, nothing special about them.
The hinge pins can be knocked out on other models but its nightly unlikely you'll be able to knock them out of the 924. That's why I said taking the bolts out are how its done.

The rear quarters are welded on. They can be changed but it is a significant amount of work to do correctly. If you change the quarters, you'll also have to change the filler pieces in the wheel wells, the 944 pieces are wider.
Replacing the quarters is about 100 times more work than fixing the hinge.
rockhound72  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know on the rear panels. Thx.
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear 1/4 panels are spot welded all the way around. I changed mine but I went from 944 to 924 so i could use the Carrera GT rear flares. It is a bit of work either way.

I got mine from an 86 924 and cut then off with a sawsall. When I got them home I carefully drilled out all of the spot welds from the inside so I could grind the flanges flat without putting holes in them. Then I did the opposite on the car so all of the flanges I would be welding would not have holes either. Then i bought a spot welder from Harbor Freight and spot welded the 924 1/4's in place of the 944. And instead of going up to the roof I cut the panels about 1/2 of the way up the back side of the 1/4 window and then welded the new 1/4's to the car.

It would be a big job for someone that doesn't have any welding equipment.
2013 Chevy Cruze
jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8carreragts wrote:
The rear 1/4 panels are spot welded all the way around. I changed mine but I went from 944 to 924 so i could use the Carrera GT rear flares. It is a bit of work either way.

I got mine from an 86 924 and cut then off with a sawsall. When I got them home I carefully drilled out all of the spot welds from the inside so I could grind the flanges flat without putting holes in them. Then I did the opposite on the car so all of the flanges I would be welding would not have holes either. Then i bought a spot welder from Harbor Freight and spot welded the 924 1/4's in place of the 944. And instead of going up to the roof I cut the panels about 1/2 of the way up the back side of the 1/4 window and then welded the new 1/4's to the car.

It would be a big job for someone that doesn't have any welding equipment.

^ this is the correct way to replace quarters! I go all the way to the roof when replacing them but it adds a lot more work because the roof & the panel under it overlaps the pinch weld flange of the quarter panel. The factory manual shows the process of cutting/attaching 1/2 way up the c pillar.

The drawback of the handheld spotwelders that HF & other sell is that they are low power so they produce a smaller/weaker spot weld, it takes 2 or 3 of these to replace a factory spot weld. You can place 3 of them in a triangle pattern in place of a factory one. They also aren't good for thicker panels or more than 2 layers of metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: