Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tailyarc  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Suspension Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am currently looking into upgrading suspension on my 88' 924S. Everything suspension wise is stock and for the most part is ridden on the street. However, I am hoping to bring it on the track a few times in the near future. I am thinking of going with Koni's due to them being adjustable and was curious about what spring rates will work best for my situation. I am relatively new to all of this and would appreciate any help. I am not scared of a rough ride and the roads around where I live are smooth for the most part. I am also open to upgrading sway bars if it would be worth it, I am however currently on a high school budget. Also, I have a pair of stock 92' 911 brakes in the garage and was wondering if there is a way to get them on without switching my spindles out?

Thanks,
Tailyarc
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the disease! Also, known as the slippery slope!

Here's an article on what one person did to convert his car to a 944 Spec class racer. One of the best out there for understanding the 924S. My '88 is built like this, well, it's a lot uglier, but similar suspension mods. Not fun on any road except the track. You can work your way backwards from this, but, the info is good on how to do it.

http://944spec.org/car_build/genikz/

I have another '88 924S with the M030 suspension from the factory. Much better than stock, but road friendly. Not sure about the spring rate in front, but I do have a spare set of springs if you are interested in them. Setup is good for the occasional track day, but eventually, if you are having fun on the track and want to do more, you'll probably change it out for stiffer stuff.

My '89 944 turbo has the M030 suspension, and the one track day I did, it dipped and doodled and couldn't stop well. But, it's a heavy pig, and even though the factory equipment is impressive, race pads and heavier spring rates are needed.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best approach is to ease into suspension mods on this car.

Step one: refresh bushings, install decent dampers, install good tires, install the largest sway bars you can find.

Step two: drive, and reassess whether you want to mess around with changing spring rates...no small task on a 924.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1^^^

And, you should make the trek out to Woodstock, check out the new shop and recent additions to my 924 collection. Some nice twisties up here. PM me for coordinates if you're interested.
tailyarc  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

From what I am seeing online, I think I am going to go with M030 sway bars. Now, I am wondering if I should go with rubber or Polyurethane bushings.

Thanks
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poly.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was actually a larger rear bar than the M030 available. It came as an option on the 944S and was available from Porsche.

Check out the Clarks-Garage article here:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20mm unit still available from Porsche new...check 924s catalog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: