Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

PCA Zone 1 Weekend

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: PCA Zone 1 Weekend Reply with quote

So June 5th to 7th is fast approaching.

I have the 924 all set and ready to go. The 944 is still not running and there just is not enough time to get the miles needed on the car if I did get it going to trust it on a 12 hour round trip, plus 2 track days of driving. Not that I am really upset, the 924 always gets people attention when it is running well.

I saw that there are another 5 924s' registered for the weekend. Anyone from the forum going to be there with me?

Cheers;
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Watkins Glen Recap Reply with quote

We made another trip to Watkins Glen in the old 924. The way down was an adventure to say the least. For a while I didn't think we would make it. About 2 hours in to the drive the exhaust (midway under the car) started to come apart. Good thing my support truck (aka father) was on his way with his own car and had two bolts with lock nuts so that I could button it up again and keep going. From there we were just about to hit the toll bridge to get onto the I81 from Canada, when I got pulled over for speeding!!! Good thing the officer was nice enough to let me go with a stern talking to and a warning. Slowing the pace on the I81 and following my dad with his trailer we made it to Seneca Falls, where he needed to fill his truck. I looked under the car and found a Pool of coolant. My face falls to my hands, I go in buy some premixed coolant, can continue the last hour, nice and easily to Watkins Glen. Wait for the morning and top the coolant off.

Friday is a test day for new instructors. We pull out my dads car for my brother to run, but they both wimp out. Too cold, tires are too old and they can't get heat into them. Ok their loss.

Saturday. Day 1 for me Running again in the Green Novice group. I take the car through tech. It fails!! The battery keeps moving around. I need to tie this thing down. It takes about three tries to get the guys to pass the battery. Mind you it is locked down tight now. I totally understand what they are saying and doing. It is safety first. Go out for my first run of the day. There are trains so long, I might as well be on the highway. Passing signals are not being given and even my little car is running down some much more potent machines. My instructor is great. He is giving me good advice and we are getting faster each session. By the end of the day, the brake pedal is pretty long. I decide we should bleed the brakes. Back drums get bled and adjusted. We move to the front of the car. We look. Oh E36 M3!!! The pads are done. almost to the backing plate. I guess I was going faster than the last 2 years. Not that I have ever changed pads on the 924. We start the hunt. There is a guy who sells Pagid pads. I call him, no good. He has nothing. I call the Parts stores in the Glen. Nothing. I think I am done for the weekend.

Sunday, day 2.

Morning dawns, I am very upset. I have no front pads to speak of. Maybe enough for the 6 hour drive home down the highways. I do have new pads at home, just not with me. I put an APB out at the drivers meeting that I am looking for front pads for an Early 924, not a 924s. I start going around the paddock looking for early 944s and 924S's. I get a box of used pads from a guy running an early 944. I get back to the car and there is box on the hood. Score. They are used Rear pads from a 924S. Cant hurt to try. I take out the pads on the passenger side. I check them with what has been given to me. They look different, but they line up. I put them in. No problems. They fit!!!. SWEET. I swap out the drivers side. My instructor comes over as I start the drivers side, and asks if I will be ready for the day. He is concerned, not just because I toasted the pads, but because we were having a great day yesterday and he wanted to keep running with me on the Sunday. I tell him, I think so, but maybe we should sneak out in the next group up (yellow) to test the brakes. He says we will see, goes away and comes back with a big smile. Were in Yellow. Lets go. SWEET. Now I am up a run group. The day gets better. The rest of Sunday is a blast. The Yellow run group is faster. But I am still not out of my element. The car ran like a train all weekend. We were fast, held a pretty good line through out, and were getting real smooth.

What started as a bad weekend, ended on a great High note. Cannot wait to start running the faster 944.

Video to be linked shortly
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans.

Consider KFPs for the next set of brakes; we've been running 'em since Day 1 on the #77, and they just can't be beat. Of course you have the drum setup, but you've already learned about the front/rear swap... and they may be able to provide a rear drum relining if you send 'em some backing plates.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, sounds like you had lots of fun.

Ive ran hawk hp+ on my na for years on track. Works great and last long. I tried both stock and relined rears but went back to stock as it wasn't worth the money. The most important with the rears is to adjust them so they don't touch the drum, even whem they get hot.

Have fun with the car!
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing is, the Hawks have a reputation for eating rotors.

KFPs don't.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. Going forward I think I am going to track the 944. The 924 is a ton of fun, and takes a lot of people off their guard as we catch up and slowly pass on the straights. Momentum is key with our little cars and as long as we can keep it up we can embarrass folks with the faster cars.

Here is the only video I was able to get on track this year. Looks like the camera filled up before the end of the run. But the 944 was passed at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsDwmyQI6W8

Cheers.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! FYI, video came out as private...

With the '44, you should have no brake issues just run the KFPs (we prefer the Gold compound) and ATE Typ200 (same as Super Blue, without the dye, still legal in the US). Both you should be able to get from Paragon.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RCR I just changed the settings to open the video from private to public. We are good for viewing again. LOL.

I will look into the KFP pads. This week I am going to replace the temporary pads on the 924 with the NOS set I have on the shelf in the garage. Maybe even pull the rear drums and check the shoes to be sure they are good too. It can`t hurt. We may have one more run with the 924 at the local track.

Cheers.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took Vaughn's advice on these pads a few years back, they've worked out very well.
hayeslewis  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the KFPs ever since I got my 924 and they've been great. Always good to load up your trailer with extras of everything you think can break, and then some more stuff for good luck!. I highly recommend carrying an extra set of wheel bearings. If you're running R-comps you'll wear them out.
2007 Armada
2013 Hyundai Elantra
1972 MG Midget Vintage project
Unstable electrified three wheeled Bicycle truck
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Took Vaughn's advice on these pads a few years back, they've worked out very well.

Me too!
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search for those pads on line and was not able to find them. Where would some on go to find those pads? Also do they make shoes for our cars.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paragon:
http://www.paragon-products.com/porsche-924-brakes-s/388.htm

I get mine from Averill Racing Stuff these days, as he's local to me. I also use them on my Prototype.

I know they do shoes for Formula Vees, or at least used to. Might contact Averill, ask him to investigate about shoes for the drums; feel free to say I sent you.

Of course, you might also be able to get away with stock rear drum linings if you have the KFPs up front, with cooling ducts...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: