Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Early 944/924/924S guys - NEW dash/door panel interest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcelenta  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the amount of work to do it correctly a grand is not bad. Just Dashes here in the States charges more than that and the end result looks like the Seinfeld Puffy shirt with the incorrect grain. AND you have to wait 6 months. For the few that really want to make it right you gotta pay or know what you are doing and do it yourself...otherwise...go the Tijuana route....used bubble gum, newspaper, hemp and cow dung.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very pleased with the dash I had done by Classic 9 Leathershop. There is really no easy or inexpensive way to precisely replicate the OEM grain and texture. For anyone desiring Concours level replica, I don't know how you would achieve that short of a bespoke item that would be in the >$1000 range. And, in any event, a plastic replacement would be unacceptable in most Concours classes, at least based on my extremely limited understanding of how Concours judging works.

For my purposes, I wanted the dash to look period correct, have "close enough" matching color and grain, and get rid of the damn cracks for good. The Classic 9 Leathershop product achieves all of that. Here is a description from the site:
Quote:
Dash Board Covered in leather, vinyl or Alcantara Porsche 924, 924s, 944 1976 - 88. I will repair and recover your 924, 924s, 944 1976 - 88 dash in vinyl, leather, or Alcantara. This includes stripping upper section of the dash, repairing of minor cracks, reinforcement of the underlying foam, installation of a cover using Porsche spec vinyl, leather or Alcantara on the upper section of the dashboard, and a finished defroster trim piece. Work is performed in my shop. An acceptable (repairable) core for this part is required.

Retail price is $700 for the vinyl dash, which is the best period-correct match I have seen for any of the available options for dash refinishing or replacement.

In my view, whatever the OP has in mind would have to be competitive with the C9L product in terms of quality, fitment, period correctness, and most importantly for most toofah enthusiasts, price. The leather option is $800, and the Alcantara option is $900. All below the magical $1K barrier.

I had the dash for the Club Sport done using Alcantara and deviated red stitiching, and it is quite spectacular (IMO).

What would be more interesting to me than a simple plastic piece, is a plastic core finished with flocking. My working assumption is that manufacturing process would be less expensive, wouldn't require a core, wouldn't require repairs to said core, and would have a presumably much shorter turn around time. The flocking approach would provide a highly functional item that would rival an alcantara dash in appearance and high performance function (glare reduction, specifically).
v2rocket_aka944  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Aside from the dash, I'd say the piece needed most is the one around the rear glass/hatch/speaker. If you could get that accurately molded into a non-cardboard material, you'd have some takers.

the "quarter panel" around the small window?
might be doable too, will look into it.

ideola, i like your flocking coating idea, will look into that as well.

the main idea of this is to have a new base upon which to apply your upholstery (vinyl or leather or whatnot). made from plastic there's nothing to crack or chip down the road like the old fibreboard stuff.

of course door panels are more susceptible to water damage than the dash. but many a dash i've seen has broken bits from steering column removal, worn out vent holes, etc.

this will in no way be for the "originalist" or "purist", since i am in no way looking for originality in my car - just continued/extended functionality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: