Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Steel Widebody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Steel Widebody Reply with quote

I was dinking around troubleshooting my DD (01 RS) and came across this interesting bit.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t102180-steel-widebody.html

Long story short there building a widebody but instead of grafting on some kit there actually cutting seams in the stock body panels, moving them out/forming, cutting sheet steel to fit the gap and welding it in in. There even heating the stock bumpers and sideskirts and reshaping them to match. Good pics to skim through the first 5 pages or so.

I'm quite impressed and I'm thinking this would be a very cool way to widebody the rear of a 24. Truly custom work like that tickles my fancy.

Not that I'm even contemplating chopping up my car in this manner but maybe an idea for a build in the distant future.

What do you guys think?
jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much how its done. Although there are several ways to do metal work.

A 924 done that way is going to come out like a 944. Imo Its hard to improve on the factory looks. Most aftermarket body kits look bulky & out of place to me.

It takes a lot of tools & equipment (probably more than you would think) to be able to do quality sheet metal fabrication & body work.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea fancies got tickled in Michigan.
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it similar to my first build, cut off a 944 complete rear quarter and stitch it on with some mini tubs to close out the gaps... a lot less stuffing around trying to extend everything.
Unless you're into patchwork quilts?
Stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: