Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New guy, picked up a 931, fix or part out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fix it or sell parts?
Fix
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Parts
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put everything together today but the exhaust pipe, the middle one...

man she started up and smoked out my whole yard cause I dumped a bunch of oil in the cylinders a while ago...

after the smoke cleared I adjusted the fuel dizzy leaner to where it would run smoothe but not idle to high..

I cant adjust idle any lower, I can pull the screw out farther than the throttle closes and my idle is still 1200ish... must be a vacuum leak.. probably because im missing a seal or two on the charge pipe..

buy yeah I got it to run pretty well, turbo spooled up real nice, didn't make any strange noises, didn't smoke, I am somewhat optimistic that it will run for quite a while..

you guys say swapping turbos is one of the hardest jobs on the car. well I just did it twice in the last two days...

me and my GF installed it yesterday with the housings loose so we could get them indexed correctly.... put it on, snug to manifold/block mount, tightened a few turbine clamp bolts, installed the charge pipe indexing the compressor and tightened a few of those clamps..

today with a friend I went and rounded up all the stuff that came off the car taking the turbo off and completely installed the now indexed turbo..

god the GF was jealous because I didn't wait for her to get home from work to install it with me but had someone else help... real pissed that he heard it start before her... I almost got my ass chewed.. but I didn't expect that...
griffinbilt  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put that car together. Please realize that there are so few of these left..lets make a count on the 356 series,or 912 series, or early 911's this car is rare in the Porsche history and for sure the 931 type. A rocket done right..
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do what I can to take care of her...

just built a house just for it for the winter

its desperate for some miles but I cant insure it right now.. its title is still in the po's name..

just got too much other stuff going on
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired her up the first time since fall yesterday. About 30F, only cranked a couple times and started. It died the first time but the second time it sounded real happy and remained idling smoothly..

Moved it a few feet back to gain good underhood access and started tackling vacuum lines. Everything that hasn't been replaced will be replaced as soon as i can track down some good T fittings to replace those crappy plastic ones.

I have new valve cover gaskets, airbox straps, exhaust manni stud, and soon new air filter, and thermostat on the way..

Its getting to be that time of year, plates, insurance and away we go..
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, just had the first real drive of the year in my 924...nice cars...surprizingly awesome to drive.
have fun driving it !
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before replacing the vacuum lines I had it tuned to 45 on the 4 cylinder dwell scale using the frequency valve method..

After I warmed it up I hooked the dwell back up and it was sittig more around 65 on the scale.

So I tuned it back in to the correct range and realized that the difference was approximately equivalent to having the mixture adjustment port unplugged.

I can really feel a vacuum now with my finger over that hole when I crack the throttle...

Throttle response is impressive...
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Everything that hasn't been replaced will be replaced as soon as i can track down some good T fittings to replace those crappy plastic ones.

TA-DA!

I put the nickel plated brass ones on my cars.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some brass ones at the local hardware.. All connections got hose clamps..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: