Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

WOW Porsche Carrera GT. It so
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: WOW Porsche Carrera GT. It so Reply with quote

I just laid eyes on a beautiful thing. I saw a 924 Carrera GT replica. Oh good lord!!!

"The 944 looks really good bla bla bla." The Carrera is the 944 on bloody steroids. Probably one of the best looking things ive seen yet. It looked mean powerful, it looked....

Ok Ok Ok, now i need to make mine like this! At least mildly immitate it!

Ok First the front flares on top of the front wheels, is that a 944 fender or are the carrera ones bigger(different)? Can I just pop the 944 fenders on the front and thats it?

I know that the ones in the back are not the same. It has sharp lines, it just looks mean. It makes no effort to hide it pathetically hard lines. It just bulges. I think if i put the back GT flares I should be able to bond them right on top of the paint with no problems. They dont seem like part of the body. Then I guess just little side skirts and im done. Right?

What im mainly asking is, is the 924 carrera front fenders the same as the 944? If so can I slap on 944 front fenders on the 924?

Now I have a 924 Carrera GT(silver replica) picture on my desktop. It was posted by Vaughen on the archives as a replica. That is what I want!!!!

Last edited by AFBCamaro on Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea-yea ... I know its a nice looken car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
speedsta2003  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post the website so I can see what youre talking about
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the post!
The silver thing

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=2709&start=0

Sorry this was actually posted by Peter
jpab924  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have some spare change, you can buy this gtr:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/details.asp?id=3599&cat=4
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets me check my couch, where I keep all the spare change!

Last edited by AFBCamaro on Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpab924  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have $50,000.00 worth of spare change in your couch? Man you must be loaded!
speedsta2003  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad prices if there wasnt shipping.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front fenders are the same lines as the 944, yes. Keep in mind you'll need the reflectors (the thin rectangular ones) and the lower valance too. The real Carrera GT used ones made of polyurethane, not fiberglass like the repros. Stock 944 would probably be the nicest for a street car, cheaper, more durable, and I think the stock 944 front lower valance is still polyurethane, not fiberglass. Of course, you could go even more radical than just stock!
http://www.fiberwerks.com/prod02.htm
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
81turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the five bolt brakes? If not you need those and a set of Fuchs. Plus a hood scoop, and . . . oh yeah a turbo.

Also I vote that if you are going to do it, get the replica GT front. The 944 front looks very dated, and makes the car look like a goofy 944 not a GT replica.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing this conversion on my car as I write this. I used the two front fenders and the front lower valance from a 86 944. Fit was not a problem at all. You may have to strengthen the attachment of the middle of the spoiler to the body. This is very minor. As for the bumper I cut the shocks and brought in the bumper about 3 inches. Removed the ugly large rubbers and used the small rubbers from a Euro bumper. Filled in some of the holes after removing the rubbers.

Now for the really scary part. The GT bolt/glue on flares do not fit well. You have to sand/fill the edges because they cut the plastic with a saw??
The lower rear of the flares stick out too much and you have to either build up the flare or the fender. By the way when I ordered them they send me two left side flares and one was returned. Not a problem.
I suggest you bolt on the flares to see where you have to make adjustments. A friend and some tape or string is a good idea to have with you. When you try to attach the flares you will notice that you have to either cut the one inch piece of metal under the fenders where the body meets the original fender. You may want to notch the flare and leave it alone. I cut mine and will reweld it minus the one inch drop.
I put in about 4 self threading screws in to hold it in place so I could see it the seams are good.

Now that you have the flares in place you will notice that you will have to cut the body or you will see the body under the flares. I have been having nightmares thinking about where am I going to cut the body. My guess is that I will remove about two inches along the body lines of the rear fender opening. Problem......how do I prepare this section. Do I cut the body and the inner wheel well and weld the two parts together or cut just the outside of the fender, then bend the wheel well out to meet the flare. Being I do not have pictures of how this was done I am at a loss. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Over all the car will look nice. You will have to paint the car and now is the time to take care of the dings/scars. I am also switching over to 5 bolt wheels and I bought the parts for $200. I will also install a 25.5 mm bar in place of my 23mm bar. This means I have to change out the lower control arms to the later 944 steel arms. I have the parts. Remember that with this change you will have to get a wheel alignment. I almost forgot it also means that I will need new wheels [I will use the flat dish 928 wheels in 7 and 8 in mode] and rubber.

So the project will run as follows:
Front clip from a 944 $400
Flares delivered to NY 300 Gt Racing
lower A arms 50 used
Poly bushing for As 25
Sway bar 25.5 100 used
Paint, reducer, bondo etc 400 will use silver/blau met or arena red
Tires at a guess 400 give or take 50 for track rubber
Rims 16 in 250
Alignment 125
install suspension 200
total $2250 I will do the body work and paint

I need help and will pass what I learn to others who attempt to do this.
I will sell my front fenders, valance is gone, 5 bolt spiders, the older A arms which are in great shape, some extra spider 5 bolt that I used for moving the car around the street, and my track Euro front bumper.

Regards to all
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont plan on doing it all at once, just body pieces for now.(i dont care that the tire will be sticking horribly in for now) The flares on the back scare me a little. Cutting the sheetmetal makes me lighheaded, but I am looking at the picture now and its worth it.

So a 944 fender will bolt right in. With no extra parts aside from the fender? And the front clip(what some call front spoiler????) from a 944 do i need any of the 944 brakets etc. or will the 924 ones work. Ive never taken the fenders out or the front so I have no clue what to expect.

Vince you brought in the 924 Bumber?? Ingenius, how exactly did you acomplish this. Mounting wise. As soon as you decreased how much the 924 bumper pretrudes, the 944 parts fit flush?
Great. I think im going to a junkyard right now to get the fenders and front clip. Muahahahahaha. Damn I whish someone from here lived close by. This is to much fun for just one individual.
Vince Ponz  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove the 924 fenders it is all the top bolts, three in the fire wall. Follow the exterior seams to find the bolts, then two or three more in the front valance and one in the rear bottom of the fender. Remove antenna and move the canister out of the way.

Front valance is easy a couple of bolts from the tray and two in the body.

944 fenders are a direct fit. You can use the 924 bumper and you will need the whole front lower valance from the 944. Yes there are two braces small and can be made for the inside rear of the 944 spoiler. A small piece of metal about 4 inches and two tabs should be fine.

As I said I took off the large rubbers and filled in the holes. I also cut the shocks to make the front bumper closer to the body. Almost like a snub nose on the 944 turbos, sorta.

If you need help ask me and if you want pictures I will take then soon and send them.

I need help myself for the rears. Plenty of thinking not enough work.
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vince I'll see if I can find the factory procedure for cutting the fenders.

I have it is some book somewhere.

There is actually a new inner/outer side wheels well piece that is apart of the conversion. When you cut the body up higher to meet the flare you remove the old inner piece and replace it. The wheel well is two pieces and seamed together with spot welds. I think it would hard to bend the old piece to conform to the new arch angle

Since the 944 is nearly the same I think you could use it a donor. And I have a couple of cars that I could see about cutting that section if you need it. Just have to pay shipping and consumables like cutting discs. And maybe some time if I have someone else do it.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there two different 944 fenders. I am looking through pictures and it seems as if the one on the Carrera is bigger than the 944. Also some 944 front fenders seem bigger than others. It could be a trick of the paint though.

Hey Zuffen do you have some 944 fenders available?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: