Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dissabling steering lock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Dissabling steering lock Reply with quote

I need help in determining where to drill a hole in the ignition steering lock so that it can be dissabled. My experience in doing so on Miata's tells me that what I need to do is to drill a small hole in the right location to intersect the pin. Then I'd thread a screw into that hole (with the key in the on position) thereby locking theb pin in the withdrawn position). What I don't want to do is drill in the wrong location!
Anybody here with a drawing or picture of one so dissabled would be my new best freind.
Rick
P.S. While I'm at it I'd love to know how to remove the plastic shroud from the column and switch without destroyingh the plastic... BTW, it's a 79 NA.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not able to remove the plastic without destroying it.

I used an air chisel to rip the locking pin out of the housing; I would rather have it completely removed than ever possibly have a chance of slipping back into place. We actually still use the ignition lock/switch as per stock, with key. Yes, our racecar has a key.

Worked great since '99, never any problems. Heard and seen firsthand too many horror stories of people driving off course because their steering lock defeat... was defeated.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughn:
Thanks fir the reply. I think I've determined that to remove the plastic surround, the switch must first be removed and then the plastic will come off the back side...or so it appears. Do you have a picture of your switch I can see?
Rick
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pro44 car still has the key as well. I removed the whole assembly and took it to the locksmith to disable the steering lock. He did it quite cheaply.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my race car, I took the assembly out and removed the locking mechanism as per Ideola's write up. I did the same on the 911 race car but it's different.
You would be very embarrassed if your pin effort failed and the steering locked while on track
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
On my race car, I took the assembly out and removed the locking mechanism as per Ideola's write up. I did the same on the 911 race car but it's different.
You would be very embarrassed if your pin effort failed and the steering locked while on track

Fifty:
Any chance you can send me the link to the Ideola article? I've searched but to no avail. That request aside, is there something unusual about the 924's steering lock design that makes blocking it's unwanted movement with a tapped screw problematic? I've raced several cars over the last decade in more than a hundred SCCA and NASA races with that arraingement and had no issues. But then they're not 924's.
Rick
Great Lakes SCCA SM points champion '09,'10,'11
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qik Nip,
I was going to build my '79 as an F Prod car for the Runoffs at Daytona this year. I re-read the prep rules for IT cars going to Prod and we're screwed. If you have 1600 Miata, build that instead - much more HP, no windshield, much smaller frontal area (drag) and less weight. I predict that a Miata will win the Daytona runoffs this year.
I don't want to go the Dark Side. BOL
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
Qik Nip,
I was going to build my '79 as an F Prod car for the Runoffs at Daytona this year. I re-read the prep rules for IT cars going to Prod and we're screwed. If you have 1600 Miata, build that instead - much more HP, no windshield, much smaller frontal area (drag) and less weight. I predict that a Miata will win the Daytona runoffs this year.
I don't want to go the Dark Side. BOL

Fifty:
In my case the primary use of the 924 will be Bonneville and secondarily running it in F Prod. I agree that a "prodded" 1.6 Miata would be better bet for winning at the Runoffs, but alas the LSR bug has bitten me!
Rick
P.S. If you have that Ideola link, I'd love to have it.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:

...and if you're very lucky, that's all you'd be!

But more for onlookers' benefit; you guys have been around long enough to probably see that happen once or twice yourselves!

I guess I still prefer leaving the most dangerous part in the toolbox/garage/trash rather than still in the car where it can hurt me! If it's not even in there, there's no way in hell it can possibly cause a problem.

Comes with being a safety systems engineer, sorry. I've seen even power steering faults write off cars on track...

If you are going to use a screw: put it in the topside at least, and red loctite, so that gravity's working for you...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Fifty50Plus wrote:

...and if you're very lucky, that's all you'd be!

But more for onlookers' benefit; you guys have been around long enough to probably see that happen once or twice yourselves!

I guess I still prefer leaving the most dangerous part in the toolbox/garage/trash rather than still in the car where it can hurt me! If it's not even in there, there's no way in hell it can possibly cause a problem.

Comes with being a safety systems engineer, sorry. I've seen even power steering faults write off cars on track...

If you are going to use a screw: put it in the topside at least, and red loctite, so that gravity's working for you...

Fifty:
Interestingly the reason the steering lock mandate was enacted by SCCA and NASA et al was to make sure that in the event of a problem (ike an electrical short) the driver could turn off the ignition and not lock the steering. Ironically, the later mandate for a positive electical cut off switch never quite caught up with the origional intent.
The universal design of a locking pin will not allow engagement with the key in the on position. It can only engage witht the key in the off position.
Rick
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have a toggle switch ignition and push button start so I just sawed the ignition switch side off with a hack saw. The steering lock pin is not hardened and just fell out. Took 5 minutes.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Qik Nip  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:
Your solution is certainly a positive one! I removed the switch, and drilled and tapped a hole throught the casting and pin and then inserted a Locktited screw in to secure it in the locked out position.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help with the surgery project:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37204
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: