Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Possible Purchase - '81 931
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5thlilpiggy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be buying the car as a TLC project. If successful, it would be something fun to tool around in during non-arctic months.

My only expectation regarding investment potential would be, if I could get it running and spruced up a bit, to be able to sell it for more than I paid for it.

At this point, they will deliver it to my place for $1750. Its kinda like getting the car for around $1500 as a 60 mile tow charge would not be cheap.

One thing that gives me pause is their auto body business. They have a couple reviews accusing them of being a scam artist. Granted, this does not have anything to do with this car per se, but still.

Since I have not personally seen them run the engine, their possible dishonesty does give pause. At the same time, the consensus seems to be that I shouldnt even run another starting demo on it without changing the timing belt.

Decisions, decisions...
5thlilpiggy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, carfax says the VIN is invalid.

I then read about the "ZZZ" VIN...this means it is a Euro model?

Does that up the value?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels I dictate it could have a limited slip among other options, so it's possible that it could be a great project.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the current time, a 931 can't be evaluated as an investment. Restoring one is a labor of love/madness, because it has to be the car you want.

I probably have close to five figures in mine, which I couldn't recover, but I didn't do it as a money making exercise. I love 924s, and a 931 was the car I wanted.

Was it worth it? Every time I drive hard in the mountains, every time I wash and wax it, every time I take it on a road trip, every time a wide eyed crowd gathers around it after it comes off the track, every time I see it in the garage, every time the turbo spools up.

If all this sounds crazy to you, move on to another project.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
At the current time, a 931 can't be evaluated as an investment. Restoring one is a labor of love/madness, because it has to be the car you want.

I probably have close to five figures in mine, which I couldn't recover, but I didn't do it as a money making exercise. I love 924s, and a 931 was the car I wanted.

Was it worth it? Every time I drive hard in the mountains, every time I wash and wax it, every time I take it on a road trip, every time a wide eyed crowd gathers around it after it comes off the track, every time I see it in the garage, every time the turbo spools up.

Amen
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Rasta Monsta wrote:

Amen

+924 I like the "every time the turbo spools up". Rasta you're such a romantic
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry about the timing belt, these people are paranoid.
as much as people talk about the time belt, I cant recall the last time I heard about a broken one. Just look at it, and if the timing belt isnt cracked or falling apart, and has some tension. its ok for seeing if it runs.

and dont worry about ripping of the cover. I prefer to leave them off.
jason c  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're serious about buying it, here's what you do.....

Go look at it again. Get the vin off the windshield, not the firewall. The firewall is the chassis number not the vin although in europe they are the same, not in the U.S.
This car has side markers, it is not a euro. Check for a sticker between the tailights under the hatch for option 220, that is the desirable LSD option. You could raise up the rear & spin the wheels, if they go the same direction it has LSD.

On the timing belt, I wouldn't run it until it gets changed, IF YOU OWN IT. If they claim it will idle "all day long", let them prove it before you pay them. If the belt breaks in the process, walk away.
Shurick  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really envious. Like morghen said, prices in Europe on those cars are gone crazy. Not to mention the fact that there only 5 or 6 cars alive in Russia including my car.
AFAIK, you should check the VIN under a windshield, not on the firewall.
As it was mentioned above if it idles there are chances that the DITC is ok. This doesn't guarantee you from another expenses but with some understanding how it all should work you can get it alive. I may be wrong since I don't know your market, but getting rid of CIS and installing EFI is not much more than $1000. And you'll get rid of cold and hot start issues, clogged injectors and faulty WUR with it.)))))
https://www.instagram.com/ru_pacecar/
5thlilpiggy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeDanger - Thanks for the piece of mind!

jacon c - that sounds like a good plan.
5thlilpiggy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shurick wrote:
I'm really envious. Like morghen said, prices in Europe on those cars are gone crazy. Not to mention the fact that there only 5 or 6 cars alive in Russia including my car.

I did a searchtempest.com for all of USA for both "931" and "924 turbo" yesterday. IIRC there were 5 hits - 4 of them were non-running projects and the one that did run was asking $9k.

Edit - yup, 5 as of yesterday. Philly is the runner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-turbo-1980-unbelievable-find-great-project-/330684611523?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4838502541.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4840290783.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/4840606484.html
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4809523652.html
jason c  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9K & no pics. Must be the real deal, nobody lies on the internet. Lol
That car will never sell for 9K, I don't even have to see it.

I don't think anyone is paranoid over the timing belt. It is a know problem with virtually every interference engine with a belt. I've seen enough broken ones to know it isn't worth the risk. Ask mike if he's willing to pay for the repairs if it does break on you..... I don't think so.
At least two of the four 931's that I own have had broken timing belts in their lives.
Better safe than sorry. Especially when you don't have the money to fix it.
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason c wrote:

I don't think anyone is paranoid over the timing belt. It is a know problem with virtually every interference engine with a belt. I've seen enough broken ones to know it isn't worth the risk. Ask mike if he's willing to pay for the repairs if it does break on you..... I don't think so.
At least two of the four 931's that I own have had broken timing belts in their lives.

they broke at idle?
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES !
I remember a case right here on this board of a broken belt idling !
Do a search, that might refresh your memory on when you've last seen a broken belt.
The effort to change it is so small its even worth paying for it if its not your car yet. Think about it...if it snaps..you're missing out on a nice deal..and a car is going to the breakers.

MikeDanger wrote:
jason c wrote:

they broke at idle?

LOOK, broken at idle !! Belt was not installed properly and got damaged.
http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=24156&highlight=broken+timing+belt

just the first page or so of a search on broken belt cases reported on this board:

http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=27399&highlight=broken+timing+belt
http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=30303&highlight=broken+timing+belt
http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=34654&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=broken+timing+belt&start=15
http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=35283&highlight=broken+timing+belt
5thlilpiggy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
if it snaps..you're missing out on a nice deal..and a car is going to the breakers.

So you personally think this is a nice deal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: