Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

I wish I'd never started ! Oil sump/pan gasket change.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19marty73  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: I wish I'd never started ! Oil sump/pan gasket change. Reply with quote

I posted last month about the terrible state I found my camshaft lobes in. Well, after 3 second hand cams I finally found a good one and fitted it. I was amazed at the results so set about treating her to a service. The top of the cylinder head was very black with burnt oil and I didn't want the cam oil feed tube to block again so I used some engine flush treatment. The dirty oil that came out made me wonder what was in the sump so I set about ordering a new sump gasket , http://www.frazerpart.com/, and set about taking the bolts out the sump to see what lurked inside. DOOOHHHH!!! it wont come off!!!!. Then I searched on the forum and found out just how much work is required. The sump was loose so I had to carry on. I know there's already a write up or two but I couldn't find any pics so I took a few in between these storms we're having in the UK at the moment.

First off I jacked the car up and put the axle stands at the front of the chassis legs and took the wheels off. Then I disconnected the strut tops and then the four nuts, 2 on both sides, that hold the cross member on and the anti roll bar.

I couldn't drop it far enough down so I disconnected the rear of the A arms and the steering rack.

I then could persuade the sump to go past the engine mount. I had to bring out the big boys. I used an engine crane to support the weight of the block and loosened the mount.

With the engine supported and the cross member dropped quite a way down the sump finally broke free!

Internal inspection of the sump didn't reveal any nasties but the pick up looks partially blocked. A good clean is in order.

To be honest, this job looks quite daunting to begin with but I reckon you could box it off in a day on your drive.
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i took off my oil pan in situ I only removed the lower cross member and steering rack, that gave plenty of clearance to the pan...
Stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: