Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Repairing cracked shock mount on rear bumper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny_Haywire  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Repairing cracked shock mount on rear bumper Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Have any of you had a broken mount for the rear bumper welded up?

The driver's side on my 1981 N/A rear bumper is cracked and pretty much all of the pieces are gone aside from the captive nut. I'm going to take it to a local welding shop on Monday to see what they quote, but I have a feeling it's not going to be cheap or easy to re-create the stock set-up.

I was also thinking to have them weld on an "L" bracket to the back of the bumper instead of re-doing the stock set up and then fabbing up a set of custom mounts on my own.

The other option is of course getting another bumper second-hand and repainting, but was just wondering if anyone here had ever repaired their broken mounts before.

Here are a few pics:

jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just aluminum, it can be welded. It shouldn't be too expensive. US bumpers are cheap. Either way you go your likely to have to paint. The paint will likely get burned & bubble from the heat of welding. It is imperative That aluminium has to be extremely clean to weld. Most of the time of repairing is the cleaning & prep.
Johnny_Haywire  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, Jason. I'll do as much prep work on it as I can before I bring it in for the estimate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: