Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Trans Axle Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frozen-solid1  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Trans Axle Question Reply with quote

Haven't posted in a long time, but I have a question about the Trans axle in my 1980 931, per the application page here its a G31/02 which was used in the 80 US, Euro, 931 as well as the Carrera GT.
Is this a LSD type diff. ?

Have noticed with the rear lifted with both wheels clear of the ground, you can spin one wheel and the other doesn't spin at all in either direction. A little puzzled and would like more info on this type of diff.

Thanks
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LSD was an option available when the car was ordered.
frozen-solid1  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell if its an LSD diff. ?? Don't have any info on what options the car came with, can't find any option codes anywhere on the car.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check in the trunk under the carpet, there should be an option sticker there, checking with Porsche on the VIN can yield some results as well. Finally, if you have the transaxle out, there is a code stamped on the top that can be used to find out what it should have in it.

the LSD's used on these cars typically can be found by the usual method of jacking up both wheels, putting it in neutral and trying to spin one wheel. If the other wheel spins in the same direction then you have an LSD, if it spins in the opposite direction then you have an open diff (or a torsen, but that wasn't an option on these cars from the factory).

Since the gearbox in your car is 915 based, the 930 limited slip is what was used from the factory and can be swapped in, if so desired. Or you can get parts from Porsche to refresh/alter the stock one.
frozen-solid1  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stefan,
I have looked in all the usual places for the option codes on this car and can't find them. I know it should have the LSD in it, thats why I jacked it up to spin the wheels. But was surprised when only one wheel turns. Doesn't matter what side I turn, left or right, the other side doesn't turn. Have never had the car running so can't put power to the trans to see how it reacts to power from the drive train.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G31 LSD will have a /12 stamping at the end of the part number, I think on the bottom of the unit.
frozen-solid1  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta,
I have your Shaggy's twin, I got this 3 years ago as a Father/Son project that never got off the ground. Couldn't get the fuel injection system figured out. Its now for sale. Its on Portland's Craigslist. Hoping someone will buy it and complete its restoration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: