Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My newly rebuilt 1980 931 will not crank or turn over.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eviljimmy  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: My newly rebuilt 1980 931 will not crank or turn over. Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Everybody here reading. I need some suggestive help from the collective wisdom on this board. I have a completely rebuilt motor in my 1980 931 with a big problem. The engine will not crank or even turn over. I put in a new reman Bosch starter. I have two brand new fully charged Interstate Batteries in it and it will not turn over or crank. It just clicks once every time the key is turned to start. Please, please, please help me if you have the time. To tell me what I'm obviously missing here, not checking and /or not doing properly so I can start up my lil' 924. Please if you can and have the time, tell me what I should be checking, doing or looking into. It's been a 3 year restore / rebuild and I'd really love to finally drive this car.
I could really use some of your expertise and knowledge here. I'm beginning to feel like the village idiot defeated by this little 4 banger after feeding it a mountain of cash and time. I am wavering between homicide and suicide every time I enter my shop now. I'm beginning to think what it really needs is a nice warm cup of fire.
Thanks in advance if you can/could help me with this embarrassing, frustrating problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My newly rebuilt 1980 931 will not crank or turn over. Reply with quote

Sounds like there is not enough juice running through the Starter.
To name a few easy ones:
Make sure the engine makes good ground;
An extra ground strap between block and firewall might be helpfull

Replace the old (cracked?) ignition switch in the stearing column.

Recheck the wiring connected to the Starter.
Replace the power supply plus cable between battery and starter;
Might look good from the outside but
they are known to rust from the inside out.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Harm.
jason c  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ yep

Make sure you have all the proper ground straps on and the connections are good.
Do you have 12 volts to the large lug on the starter?
Does the engine turn over by hand?
Post pics if you can.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, are you certain you have a 931 starter and not a 924 starter? They rotate in opposite directions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: