Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

crash test picture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: crash test picture Reply with quote

thought this might be interesting

morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed..the roof does bend on a rear impact as well.
By todays standards thats a "no no" but as long as there is no occupant clash with the surrounding parts and no frame separation (opening of the cockpit) thats fine as all it does is to absorb energy and save the occupants.

This is the frontal crash test for the 944, practically the same as the 924

This a closeup of the 924 frontal crash test

Captain_Kirk  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rear crash, did the seat fail or is the dummy in the back seat?
Mars478  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Kirk wrote:
In the rear crash, did the seat fail or is the dummy in the back seat?

Good spot. Wow.

I love how the rear glass shatters so spectacularly. I wonder if a car could be sold like that today with a glass like that.

Daily: 99 ML320, 210k and still trucking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass is still sekurit so a glass hatch like that would shatter in the same way.
It looks like both dummies are at the same angle. Somehow i doubt both seats failed at the same time. I dont see a seat in the 944 frontal crash either.
!tom  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
I love how the rear glass shatters so spectacularly. I wonder if a car could be sold like that today with a glass like that.

That's what tempered glass does. The little bits don't have big jagged edges on them.

It's far safer than window glass (as in windows on houses), which ends up having big jagged pieces.

Cars normally have tempered glass (like we're discussing here) for all windows except the windshield, which has a plastic lamination between two layers of glass to keep everything in place in case of breakage. I'm not sure what kind of glass the windshield safety glass is though, because I don't believe it is conventional tempered glass. I believe tempered glass would end up shattering from simple rock chips that are common in windshields.
pmcaya2  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass breakage aside, I wonder what the impact speed was in either of these crash tests - and if the gas tank ruptured in the rear end collision. Drive safely - Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: