Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bought a 500 dollar 924 (build thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get rid of that cantaloupe launcher tail pipe. That thing can't make the car sound good.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthompson wrote:
You need to get rid of that cantaloupe launcher tail pipe. That thing can't make the car sound good.

It doesn't sound good except at high revs haha. Unfortunately there are other more "pressing" issues at the moment and exhaust will be upgraded when the time comes.

Daily: 99 ML320, 210k and still trucking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mars478  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 924 has left it's winter slumber. I need it this weekend for an AutoX that I am going to. I got a new battery from Home Depot (who woulda thunk that they carry car batteries now, I had a 150$ gift card), so now it starts even in the cold weather. I am in the process of fabbing up the passenger rear drum brake line (since that was the one that rusted through). It idles nicely and sounds ridiculous since the huge muffler fell off. It should be ready for the road this weekend I have a timing belt kit along with a new roller in my ML ready for installation.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mars478  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the brake line today and bled the rear brakes only because it was getting late. Good news and bad news. Car stops and stops decently well. However I think the master cylinder may be shot as it loses pressure sometimes and then when I pump it comes back to life.

jason c  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
Made the brake line today and bled the rear brakes only because it was getting late. Good news and bad news. Car stops and stops decently well. However I think the master cylinder may be shot as it loses pressure sometimes and then when I pump it comes back to life.

Sometimes? Is this while driving, moving around the driveway or parked? If while driving, check your wheel bearings, loose bearings allow the rotors to move. The movement of the rotors push the pistons in, then the pistons take a pump or two just to tighten up on the pads.
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
I need it this weekend for an AutoX that I am going to.

Nassau Coliseum?

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcoyle wrote:
Mars478 wrote:
I need it this weekend for an AutoX that I am going to.

Nassau Coliseum?

Nope, meadowlands stadium.

brian19600  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found with a bad master cylinder is when the car is sitting, you apply firm pressure to the pedal. You will feel the pedal slowly going to the floor...and your certain that it is not leaking out anywhere.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian19600 wrote:
I have found with a bad master cylinder is when the car is sitting, you apply firm pressure to the pedal. You will feel the pedal slowly going to the floor...and your certain that it is not leaking out anywhere.

That's what I was thinking as well, master cylinder sounds about correct. I found out one of the lines to master was loose and I was about leave last night and since the system was holding pressure it began to leak out of one of the connections at the master, I was so close to leaving but it was 3am and I couldn't work anymore.

Mars478  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the braking system which I have mostly sussed out, the car has a few other issues. When it hasn't been started for a while, it takes a few starts to actually get it running and it runs like sh!t. Once it starts up it continues to run like sh!t until it gets warm. Once it warms up it runs fine, not very fast but what can I expect. Could it be injectors? CIS?

Mars478  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Today at 3am I began my 924 driving career. Fixed the brake line and the system is now holding good pressure (although braking performance is far from stellar), car is running properly, trans is smooth, it's loud as a train horn, but I drove it 80 miles to NYC from LI.

The next morning at 6am I went to an autocross, but I didn't race the car due to it most likely failing tech because the battery hold down strap was MIA. Not worth wasting 50 bucks. Next weekend I shall autocross it. I very much enjoy driving the car, I just wish it didn't sound like a riced out honda civic... It also desperately needs an alignment.

Some pictures:
At a restaurant with my friend in his 944 (which acted as my support vehicle at 3am so that I didn't have to drive alone in case of worst case scenario, luckily I didn't even need to stop on the side of the road once!)

At the autocross with friends 944, my 924 was wishing it was on the track

brian19600  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see it on the road. Nice to see it wasn't on the side of the road! I should have mine going mid/late summer. Did you get it running better? Probably a good idea to build one of those CIS testers. I've started accumulating parts for one.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fellas, just when I was starting to fall in love with this car big time and trust/ drive it hard, it broke down on me. My roadside tests basically confirmed it had a major fuel delivery issue. It started sputtering and eventually it died on me on the side of the Merrit Parkway before exit 28. Luckily I was with the red 944 in the pictures above and another friend in an SL600. I made it to Caffeine and Carburetors in New Canaan and my 500 dollar Porsche was (surprisingly!) not hated and quite the opposite, people found it very interesting.

I am surprised that my braking system fix has held up, and held up well at that, and I honestly expected that to fail before the fuel system.

Next stop on the 924 repair list is a fuel system/delivery overhaul. I'm guessing this explains my cold start sputtering and dying issues, along with CIS being not tuned properly. I had a hell of a time on the way there on the Merritt following my friend in his 944 and driving slightly faster than I should've in a 500 dollar project car, and it made me gain some confidence in my little Porsche. Stay tuned.

Mars478  

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the car today, replaced the external fuel pump with a used Bosch one from ebay (buying used fuel parts is OK, as far as I have read.). It idles and stays on, so luckily it should be back on the road soon. Replaced a few of the fuel hoses with some standard FI hose at the request of many members here. The internal fuel pump is dead, not sure what's the best course of action to resurrect it, but I am sure as hell not spending 200+ on an almost unnecessary pump for a 500 dollar car haha.

Mars478  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures:

ignition coil in trunk for spark plug exhaust...

SHE LIVES!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: