Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Reduce Front Bumper, bring it in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdub  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reduce Front Bumper, bring it in? Reply with quote

Hi
I can't seem to search well enough to see if anyone has found a way to bring in the front bumper so it doesn't stick out so much (slow speed bumper, US style). I know there are shocks to it, but before I rip it apart and see what can be modded, I wanted to make sure it's doable.

I do metal work and things, but just want to make sure it's possible, like I heard it is. any link? Thanks!
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, since the search function built into this website sucks let me show you something awesome.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search This is google's advanced search, just type in what you want to search and then put the website in where it tells you to.

The fast way of doing this is to type "(search subject) site:924board.org" minus the brackets into the google search bar.

This is a method many members use to find specific posts that could contain the info they need. In your case I found this.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38091&sid=93a0ca57921aeac21d56c4f6c97f29fd

It's as simple as pulling the bumper off, removing the shocks, drilling the shocks to release hydraulic pressure, welding or bolting the shocks solid and then re-mounting them in their compressed form.

It is a pretty popular mod among North American 924/944 owners. Hope this has been helpful and informative to you.

Good luck with your car.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
snakoil  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the steps given by Power Tryp are correct, they can be confusing for someone who never did it.
I know I spent few hours on this while this can be a 15 minute job

1. To remove the front bumper you got 2 19mm bolts accessible from under the bumper via big round holes.
2. Don't forget to disconnect the bumper lights, note that if you have small hands you might be able to disconnect the plug from the lights without removing the lamps (saves a lot of time)
3. Pull the Bumper straight forward, once removed you will understand how it was held in place and how to put it back.
4. Unbolt the 2 bolts holding the shocks and pull them out(they are bigger and heaver then you would think.
5. removing the metal tie rap holding the rubber and remove the black rubber cover in middle front of the shock
6. Drill a hole in the portion that was hidden by the rubber (closer to the front will make it easier to empty fluid when you'll be compressing the strut.
7. Re-Extend the shocks to make it easier to reinstall the bumper
8. Once enverything is bolted back together push gently your front bumper until it is in the position you like.

Do no try to drill the shock at the back as you will be drilling for hours like me without getting anywhere.

For the back bumper be carefull as the holding brackets on the bumper are made of really light alloy and shattered for me when I tried to unbolt it.
jdub  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome info. thanks guys
Captain_Kirk  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to add a note, wear goggles and keep your mouth shut when drilling the hole in the shock. The oil inside is under pressure and comes out the new hole, which is how most people work a drill, is pointed right at your face. FYI it tastes bad.
Power Tryp  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common way to avoid having the shock fluid spray back at you is to drill through a piece of cardboard (thicker is better) so it directs the fluid to the sides.

Green tartan interior, you don't see that on a Civic.
snakoil  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part i put the shock in a garbage bag and close it up when i feel i'm almost through
Also avoids staining the garage floor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: