Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Project RX924 begins!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved at last! I put new coils in, which made it run a lot better, but on the way to the track it still cut out......6 times! I managed to work it out this time though, as it was getting worse and the fuel pump was completely cutting out now. The crew ran around and found a new pump and brought it out to the track. The car ran like a dream all day, and then drove home with out cutting out at all

They also played with the timing and got a bit more speed out of it. It's starting to feel quite quick now, and I got 2nd in class - my first podium at a rallysprint!!
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Andrew!

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day at the track (including driving there and back) and no problems. I love this car!
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day I've driven the car since September - so much fun, even just driving the 3km's into work. Looks like the Terratrip has packed up now, so more money to spend!
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son Ian rebuilt the alternator for me, and I've made a new switch panel rewired a lot of the extra switches on the dash to simplify everything, and hopefully make it more reliable. I'll try to get the new trip meter in this weekend too.

I've decided that I'm sick of all the noise, heat and rattles, and I'm going to fit heat shielding and probably carpet back inside it. Seems crazy for a race car, but since most of the events we do are endurance rallies with lots of touring stages, driver fatigue does become a factor in performance.... and I'm getting old!!

Next event will be the Targa Bambina on the 17th and 18th of March - 253.3kms of closed special stages and at least as much touring.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car survived another rally without any major issues. It was sitting between 7-8000rpm most of the time, and ran like clockwork.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew NZ wrote:
The car survived another rally without any major issues. It was sitting between 7-8000rpm most of the time, and ran like clockwork.

And another!! only fuel and oil top ups this time. It was a 1500km round trip including getting there and back and didn't miss a beat - I really love this car

I think we've finally got it reliable now, so I have the difficult decission of whether to leave it like it is or risk modifying it further to get the true potential out of the car.
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
liqtor  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate. love this project in fact so much so. i am putting a 13b fd in my 83 944. i would appreciate any info you are willing to share regarding mating of the engine to the transaxle via the torque tube. ie details about the bell housing and other required work.
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liqtor wrote:
hey mate. love this project in fact so much so. i am putting a 13b fd in my 83 944. i would appreciate any info you are willing to share regarding mating of the engine to the transaxle via the torque tube. ie details about the bell housing and other required work.

Hi that's probably a better starting point - I haven't measured it up, but I think the 944/924S style of cross member and steering rack might clear things better so that you can fit the longer 13B in. I think that a series 4 bell housing should work as a good starting point for the adapter too, although you'll need to cut more of the firewall out to fit it in. The S4 clutch is the same number of splines as the 944 shaft too, so you'll only have to modify the driveshaft end to fit the bearing and spacing. All this is from memory, and I could be wrong with some of these facts (it was all done a while ago!).

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on once you've measured everything up. This was a very complicated conversion in the 924, so I hope the 944 is a bit easier for you!!
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Andrew NZ  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another rally finished - this time a small one day Targa event, and we came 9th in classic class - my best rally finish yet. The balance is very good now, so time to start searching for a bit more power to close the gap to the top guys

A small clip of the car on one stage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFYat-_A00k
www.race4-dcup.co.nz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: