Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 turbo engine question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svobodin  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: 924 turbo engine question Reply with quote

I found this 924 turbo on CL, but the owner has no clue about it. They list it as a '77 924S, but it is clearly a turbo from the exterior with the NACA air inlet and grill under the emblem. My question is whether this engine is an early 924 turbo 1978-9? or has it been messed with?

Its not the best image, but it is all that is posted on the listing. I know that most 924 turbo engines have a much different boot going to the intake manifold, which is what raised my suspicion, but this engine looks very different than the usual turbos from this picture. Thoughts?
Svobodin  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just realized, aren't the spark plugs supposed to be on the intake side on turbo? The alternator is also not where it should be on a turbo, Is this just a modified N/A engine? The coolant tank looks N/A too.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an old school aftermarket turbo conversion produced by a compny called Windblown.

The stock low compression NA motor takes well to boost with appropriate care taken in the tuning and cooling.
Svobodin  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Its strange to see a n/a engine on a turbo body with a turbo retro. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to look at the car. I've been wanting to get a turbo rather than my '79 N/A, but this is not the type of turbo I had in mind.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car would be really cool to have for the novelty of it, but it may not be exactly reliable. If it wasn't so far away and so ridiculously priced, I would have bought it already just for the Windblown setup.
Svobodin  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4200873992.html

original listing for reference.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
....but it may not be exactly reliable.....

So it would be like most 931's found on CL today?

Honestly, I think as long as the usual bits and pieces of the CIS and electrical systems are in good order, this shouldn't be any more of less reliable than any other 924/931.

The exceptions would be heat and pressure related issues related to the addition of the turbocharger to the mix. Those aren't insurmountable with some fettling, which would likely be similar to the issues and solutions used in the factory 931.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Honestly, I think as long as the usual bits and pieces of the CIS and electrical systems are in good order, this shouldn't be any more of less reliable than any other 924/931.

I suppose it's no surprise that I disagree?

The Windblown system uses really old school stuff for its turbocharger and wastegate, for which replacement parts are unobtanium. If they function now, they probably won't for much longer. On top of that, you have no idea what other mods have been done to the car, or what boost level has been run in the past, or what damage may be lurking in the short block due to the previous owner turning boost up too high on an NA engine, etc. etc.

At least with a stock 931 you know what you're dealing with, and can fairly readily assess condition. Documentation on the Windblown stuff is even scarcer than the BAE stuff. I've collected everything I could find here: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=29561

There might be more info out there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: