Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1st, 2nd, .....15th impressions on CGT car.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: 1st, 2nd, .....15th impressions on CGT car. Reply with quote

Well, after a winter of despair of having no running 931 car in Arizona, the CGT project is mechanically pretty much done. In Arizona, I rewired the car with a Painless Wiring 12 circuit fuse box and 8 circuit toggle switch box with starter button. Also, utilized MSII and EDIS for ignition. Have brake lights, GTS front lights, turn signals and wipers.

The engine I put in last fall 'looked' good, no oil on engine, pretty shiny! Anyway, after all of the above was completed, the car started right up, but blew clouds of blue smoke. Arghghghghg. After effing with it for a couple more months, waste of time, I shut down the project for 4 months. Didn't hardly look at it.

Now that I have the rebuilt spare engine in it, the car hauls ass quite well. It's a Series I engine with new crank and rod bearings, new rings, new cam, followers, valves, etc. Eventually, I'll rebuild the Series I engine and Euro turbo-charger, and have that as my 'spare'. Or sooner~!

Anyway, long story short, have a question. The car is pretty much all metal, no plastic or carpet, etc. I think I'll go deaf driving this thing~! One particular noise that bothers me, regardless of overall decibel level, is this
'banshee' screaming sounding noise coming at high rpm when I let off the gas. Ouch! Is it the wastegate? The exhaust is tighter than a crab's ass, so doubt there's any rattle with that. The car shifts great, nice and tight. What up?

Otherwise, wow, with the near-race suspension, and wider 944 track, wow, and the R888s, wow, amazing, nothing I've ever driven like this, including the old 911. Just like a go cart going around corners. I like!
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably hearing resonance through the sheet metal which kind of amplifies the sound--like a speaker cone does. I would suggest getting some sound deadening material (like Dynamat) and place a few squares around the floor and inside of the 1/4 panels. You don't need to cover everything. Just put maybe a 12" x 12" square on each 1/4 panel and start with one on the rear floor. You will be surprised what a small amount will do and it wouldn't add much weight either. Eastwood has their own brand on sale for $20 for a pack of 5 12" squares.

All you need to do is dampen the sheet metal vibrations.
2013 Chevy Cruze
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound you are hearing when you let off the gas is not the wastegate,more likely the pop off valve on the turbo.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct on both accounts! I sealed up the spare tire hole, and no more noise.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: