Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

933 Revival.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harm  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

I bet US board members might like this ‘Restoration’ Project @ Freisinger in Germany.

924 SCCA (D-production) Chassis number: 92A0490015

http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/porsche/uk/Porsche_Restoration_Detail/2935.html

It sure took a while… The D-prods look had to grow on me.
It's an honest race car in which the toofah's straight body is still recognizable.
Petrolheads can have a close look at the engine's pistons
Very curious how this is going to turn out

Kind regards,
Harm.

ps. Noobs read: http://www.924.org/models/924D933.htm
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

Harm wrote:

Look like a totally flat-top pistons to me.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
emoore924  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the head gasket
emoore924  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you take a few minutes (few HOURS) and check out the other inventory they have there, both for sale and under restoration.

I'd have to say, that is probably the largest single collection of truly historic porsches oustside the porsche factory museum.

There a pics of some SERIOUS iron there. The pics are great documentation of the models, especially the 924 variants.

Oh, and the pics of the 917 motor are well worth the price of admission. I think I got drool on the screen.
Harm  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
Harm wrote:

Look like a totally flat-top pistons to me.

Trainspotter
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the head gasket, check out those solid motor mounts!

Also, note the dry sump tank placement and the sheet metal removal in the rear compartment...

I was also surprised to see stock sheet metal hood, and yet fiberglass bumpers, complete with the US-style bumperettes molded in. I'll have to go back and look at my D-Prod pix, because I wasn't aware that the factory racers were using fiberglass bumpers. Food for thought on the D-Prod tribute...
ditch68  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:
Make sure you take a few minutes (few HOURS) and check out the other inventory they have there, both for sale and under restoration.

I'd have to say, that is probably the largest single collection of truly historic porsches oustside the porsche factory museum.

There a pics of some SERIOUS iron there. The pics are great documentation of the models, especially the 924 variants.

Oh, and the pics of the 917 motor are well worth the price of admission. I think I got drool on the screen.

Wow, what an inventory. Well worth every minute, and I spent many. I havent even seen it all.

The "Hugo Boss" GTR for sale...the other ONE is in the Porsche museum.

Amazing.

Past: 1986 951, 1988 924S, 1965 912 with '69 911T engine.
Harm  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/porsche/uk/Porsche_Cars_for_sale/289.html
(I hope this stays up for a while… )

^ fresh link!
Car #15 is finished and up for sale.
Quote:
not street legal

933 #14 is in progress: See the restoration thread
http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/porsche/uk/Porsche_Restoration_Detail/2919.html

ENJOY!
Harm.
jason c  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freisinger is the real deal. They have tons of unobtainium. He has just about anything you could want or need.
jimhuiz  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

Harm wrote:
http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/porsche/uk/Porsche_Cars_for_sale/289.html
(I hope this stays up for a while… )

^ fresh link!
Car #15 is finished and up for sale.
Quote:
not street legal

933 #14 is in progress: See the restoration thread
http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/porsche/uk/Porsche_Restoration_Detail/2919.html

ENJOY!
Harm.

Freisinger rocks. Love the work they put out.

Quick intro as I'm a new guy here. I started tracking a mildly prepped 951 many years back and then moved into rear engine water cooled and then rear engine air cooled (old). I've been a big DP fan for many years. Great cars and love the NA MFI motor…

Question for those in the know: Did the DP originally have a plexiglass rear hatch? I found some literature that said plexi. I also see that 0014's pre-resto pics included a cracked plexi rear hatch but it looks like 0015 is tinted glass (real glass). Not knocking on 0015…it looks great, but would like to know what's factory correct.

Thanks,

Jim H.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Welcome to the group, I too am a NA MFI air cooled fan. But the 924 is going to win more SCCA races.
Ideola is the man to ask about D prod (and anything else toofah).
Regards,
Chuck
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

jimhuiz wrote:
Did the DP originally have a plexiglass rear hatch?

This is a good question, and one for which I don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer. If I had to hazard a guess, I doubt that the factory would have provided a lexan hatch...it didn't do so on any of the other 924 special variants, as far as I know, so why would it have done so with the DProd? Any pix depicting a lexan hatch were probably team/owner changes. But I'm just speculating on that.

I've had a look thru my entire collection of historic DProd pix, and virtually none of the early original DProd examples show any clear evidence of Lexan. A lexan hatch almost for sure requires internal bracing to keep it from flexing and breaking (especially on the track). The only one that shows a lexan hatch for sure are pix of Frank Celenza's yellow DProd...but those pix are all after it was converted to GT3 trim. So if I were a betting man, I'd bet no factory lexan.

On a related note, I've been trying to determine whether or not the factory cars came with full-blown US bumpers with bumperettes, or if they came from the factory with fiberglass molds. I've looked thru dozens of pix, and in some, it looks like normal factory metal bumpers with bumperettes, in some it looks like fiberglass bumper with bumperettes, and in others, it looks like fiberglass bumper with no bumperettes. Again, I think it likely that the fiberglass bumpers were swapped on by the teams/owners.

And that leads to another question: if fiberglass was allowed, why did they bother making a mold of the US bumper with it's uglier "fat lip" profile and bumper pads? Why not just make a race version of the smaller, sleeker Euro bumper???

This is a factory-provided photo used to promote the DProd program. Looks like glass hatch and production-spec bumpers to me.

MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the D-prod cars.
Maybe one day when I have a bit more disposable income I will update my 76 to D-prod specs both in and out.

Great number of pics Ideola.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
jimhuiz  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 933 Revival. Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
jimhuiz wrote:
Did the DP originally have a plexiglass rear hatch?

This is a good question, and one for which I don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer.

On page nine of this document there is a technical spec sheet that says side and rear windows are plexiglass. I'm not sure if that meant the door and quarter windows or the quarter windows and the hatch. I'm also not sure if any of this is correct as it seems there are plenty of historical discrepancies.

http://www.titchati.be/porsche/docs/933/Porsche_924_D-Production.pdf

Ideola - certainly have enjoyed reading all of the information you've put together. Thanks.
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered, I have an all original complete 933 factory parts catalog (hard copy) at the shop. I'll try to remember to grab that this weekend and dig through it to see if it offers any clues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: