Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Racer Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
The 5 bolt system brakes that you have are quite satisfactory for any track time or racing that you will ever do. A common misconception among many Porsche folks is that bigger brakes will stop better and result in faster lap times. Untrue. If a caliper that you have can lock a wheel, bigger doesn't do anything more.

Bigger brakes (pads) will last longer in an endurance scenario than smaller ones but for our sprint type racing, what you have will never be inadequate. Front and rear vented rotors help in the cooling also. You probably won't even need air ducts on the front.

If you have been relying on ABS, you will need to practice some threshhold braking on the 924. But remember that the Porsche engineers spent quite a bit of time balancing caliper piston sizes with car front/rear weighting, master cylinder bore sizes and pad material friction coefficients. They didn't just say, let's slap some five bolt brakes in the M471 option package. In your threshhold braking tests, if one end of the car locks up before the other end, your best and easiest fix is to change pads (adjust friction coefficients) on one end of the car. Pick a race pad MFR and use their various compounds to get the balance that you want.

Big Reds will never un-inflate an ego nor make one faster.
Chuck
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update:

Working on plumbing the remote oil filter. Nothing connected, just sitting there to check sizings (used lines so I will have to shorten most of them). I sized the accusump feed line...and have come to the opinion that actually getting the aeroquip fittings on was designed by the devil....at least I got my arm workout in for the day.

Here is the (well actually its hidden) through the fire wall fitting for the accusump feed line. put a bit of RTV on the flange to try and keep water out of the cabin...not like I don't have open windows though....

Assusump installed...within easy reach to open it after the engine has warmed up...and for checking to pressure while harnessed in.

Finished up the air dam. I have a support in the middle of it...but I am still undecided if I want to keep it there as it is attached to the middle bolt on the radiator. If I smack something with the air dam (off track excursion), then I don't know if it would hurt the radiator...may need to rethink that one.

Also installed the 924S master cylinder...the brakes feel better already (thanks for the tip Chuck!!)

Cheers,
Ian

Current:
1981 924 Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks...down to zero hour.

Car will be on the track in less than a week and still a million things to do!

Here are some pics of the cage progress...looking very good!! (Thanks Nate!!)

Close up of the weld on the steering wheel. It is able to come off, I just did not take it off for the pic.

All he has left to do is the X in the main hoop and we are good to go.

Won't have a chance to paint the cage prior to getting down to Roebling Road, but who cares....paint does not make you safe or fast in my opinion (I will get it painted as soon as I get back though )

Current:
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck !
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good
FJ40Jim  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cage bends & welds all look good.

A few unsolicited design critiques, worth what was paid for them:
The knee bar looks very low. I would move it above the column and hang the column from it.

The driver door bar x-brace is going to be very close to the driver's elbow. Consider leaving the sill bar, but replace x-bars with NASCAR bars bent out into the door. I hammered an elbow on the x-bar once in a rear collision. I've sworn off the flat x-bar design ever since.

The rear stays are very long. In a hard rear hit, as soon as the rearmost body shell starts to crumple, the movement will transfer into the cage. Better to let the stock crumple zones crumple first, then hit the cage around the strut tower area (this applies at both ends of a stock body car).

Either way, hope the new car runs great at it's debut!
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I like the long rear bars. Provides some protection for the stock fuel tank (think Pinto). If you had a fuel cell with bladder, then not needed.
Enjoy,
Chuck
FJ40Jim  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty50Plus wrote:
I like the long rear bars. Provides some protection for the stock fuel tank (think Pinto).

Also a good point.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry the update has taken so long...but work has been absolutely crazy this week and I have pretty much fallen asleep as soon as I have gotten home. I finally got the car up on jacks yesterday to start going through everything and change the oil, bleed brakes, etc....

The track day went very well, I had a few problems with wide open throttle so I was not able to get full speed out of the final turn, or on the front straight, but at least there were no huge problems, however I was only able to do about 7/10ths with the car. On the second to last run I developed a bit of a fuel leak from the fuel filler neck in one of the high lateral G turns, so I currently have the transmission out and will try and get the fuel tank out today to just replace all of the lines. I thought about going with a fuel cell, but I think I will just roll with the stock tank.

Made a quick video of the progress with the car with an out lap at Roebling Road towards the end. One of the clips in the middle did not format right, but I am just going to roll with it...

I want to say thank you to everyone on the board who helped impart me with the knowledge to get a 32 year old car onto the track and perform far better than i had expected!! Everyone here is right, these are great cars to drive and make you smile the entire time. I am a convert!! I may even try getting one for road driving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsmkCUBL9Fo

Fj40Jim:

That was what we had in mine for the long bars in the back. The knee bar is further away from my knees that it looks like, due to how far back I sit it is about 5 inches from my knees with impact foam on it. We looked at putting it above the steering column, but we could not figure out how to do it with the bar we had and keep the instruments in the same place which we have to do in the class I will be running in as we have to keep the "stock" dash.
I do agree with you in regards to the X bar on the drivers side...there is about an inch between my arm and the foam, its a bit close, so I will look at tossing a wider bar on the top.

Thanks again all!!!!!

Cheers

Current:
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
CONGRATS!!!!
In the credits however, you forgot to thank VISA, MasterCard and American EXpress - without whom we would never get on the track
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true

They were very instrumental

Current:
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick update....

Fixed fuel leak problem...had to drop the entire tank to get at the hoses at on the top of the tank, plus the fuel filler neck. There was an autocross 15 minutes from my house, so of course I could not resist...but no fuel leak issues.

I am not a very good autocrosser, but here is the video of my fastest run...finished like half way through the field. She was pushing very hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22xiioIhMok&feature=youtu.be

There is no where in close proximity to me that is able to corner balance the car or to inspect her for an SCCA log book. So....I took her up to Raleigh to Long Road Racing, the guys who set up and race the Freedom Autosport MX-5's in the Continental Sport Car Challenge Series. He also has a few World Challenge Loti (Lotus's ??) in there.

Linky to their site:

http://www.longroadracing.com/

Also using them to tech the car for my SCCA logbook.

However.....while trying to get the car on the trailer and up to their shop, she would not start...nothing...no spark, fuel was good, but no power to the plugs. I trouble shot everything...had the books out, my voltmeter, everything...so...

I was getting power to the coil, a full 10 volts while cranking which should be more than enough to send spark to the dizzy, but still no firing. The last thing that I thought to check was the Ignition Control Unit, so I pulled it off and cleaned it up, then put it back on, tried to start and she tried. I tried to start her again, and nothing....very frustrating.

I luckily had a spare, threw it on there and she started right up. I did not think that that switch could fail, but I guess after 32 years it was about time.

I wonder if that was what was causing my WOT issues while on the track? If it was failing to begin with I guess that could have not allowed enough spark to the plugs. Anyways, I have a new one on order.

Next track event is 1 and 2 June, that will be the true test to see if what I did worked.

Cheers,
Ian

Current:
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics from Carolina Motorsport Park...

Current:
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
joewest  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's looking fantastic! Glad you worked out those bugs. Drive her until the wheels fall off!!
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to get video to upload, but here are a few pics from my last track day at Roebling Road raceway.

All problems have been solved regarding the fuel delivery, ended up switching to a '79 fuel dizzy to solve the problem ... the lambda system is just not working and I did not feel like messing with it any more.

On WOT she enrichened up to 12.8 and sat right around 14.7 on idle .... Me thinks we won.

She was running like a champ all day, and we were even giving some corvettes hell throughout the day. easily kept pace with the faster MX-5 guys. Now that the car is sorted for the most part, I realized how much further I have to go to be competitive

Cheers!

Ian

Current:
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: