Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My 931 performance mods
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: My 931 performance mods Reply with quote

Hi All,

I bought a nice 931 in 2010 from my father-in-law. Had 70,000kms on it and he had had it from near new. Sorry about the size of the photos but I don't know how to change that.

Drove it for 6 months and had a ball. But I wanted more power, and then I read Ideola's Perfomance Upgrades article: that's when my problems started. So I got it converted to FI with an Adaptronic ECU. The guy who did it did not have a clue, so it never ran right after that.

Eventually I found someone who knew a lot more. By then it was blowing some smoke. Had the valve stem seals done but it still smoked, the turbo seals had had it. So I decided to get a Garrett (gt28rs with a.63ar) fitted rather than rebuild the K26. This required an adpater flange for the exhaust manifold.

This is the final job.

It put out 135rwkw on 12psi - this was nice. Then I moved from Canberra to Brisbane and the higher temps made the idle go haywire. Found a Porsche trained mechanic who found that most of the settings in the Adaptronic had not been touched. So I decided to switch to a Haltech PS1000. I've got no pics of the Haltech. With intake temperatures of 85deg, the mechanic set the boost low (9psi) and power went back down to 85rwkw - what a drag.

Car still didn't start and idle right. So I got the fuel tank removed and cleaned. You can see where they cut a hole in the tank to drain it properly and then sealed it with a 10cent coin. Tank was full of water and other crap. Replaced intank pump with original, and out-of-tank pump with a Bosch highflow pump

and got a Turbosmart fuel pressure regulator installed.

Also had the fuel tank sender rebuilt so the fuel gauge worked properly again.

I wanted 300rwhp so we decided to go for custom exhaust & inlet manifolds, and intercooler.

Here are the headers, etc. It took forever (months) to find someone who would do the headers.

Also got 3in stainless steel exhaust fitted

Here's a pic of the 951 radiator I had fitted when the Haltech went in.

And a Grant Corsa wheel.

Then it took forever (more months) to find someone to do the inlet manifold. This is the result.

Here it's been vapour cleaned and HPC coated.

You can see that the plenum has been cut off the original manifold and a new plenum has been welded on. It's now pointing in the right direction! Throttle body is for a Nissan RB20.

Then we decided to ceramic coat everything for heat. Warning: may need sunglasses to look at the following photos.

Timing belt cover

This is a better view of the headers

Dump pipe

Hot side of turbo?

Cold side of turbo?

Cam cover

Next will have all this fitted. Plus a PWR charge cooler, new oil cooler, and then a tune. I will provide more updates as they happen.

I want to thank everyone who contributes to this board. There's so much useful info here, regardless of whether you are doing some maintenance or blowing a ton of money on your 924. It's all been an inspiration in one way or another. Also, thanks to my wife for buying me a 924 book every now and again, so that I could remember what my car looked like.

Some of the parts that have been removed from the car are available if anyone is interested - turbo, wastegate, adapter flange for exhaust manifold. PM me if you're interested.

I also have a copy of the 924turbo workshop manual. I'm willing to scan a few pages here and there for people, PM me.

George
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mods and you better find someone who really knows how to tune the car as wrong tune in the turbo car will kill it quick.

I was scared to see that you had the GT28RS mounted upside down, luckily in later photos it was corrected. Mounting it even in steep angle will kill the seals, not even talking about upside down.

But I would suggest to change out the oil cooler lines asap to pressed steel braided ones because the regular clamps are barely good at holding even the cooling system together reliably.
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Some impressive work and money spent there. When do you think it will all be back together?

Keep the updates coming.
WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I was just starting to get bored with 924 forums and then I get home from work and see this.

You've got some really cool stuff going on here - I love your exhaust headers/manifold and exhaust system.

Like Raceboy has said and as you probably already know, the tune is critical. Having said that, I think you have the potential to make some serious power here, beyond your goal, especially after freeing up the exhaust, which seems to be a limitation with the standard cast manifold once you get beyond 350hp@crank.

You may have found inspiration on here but you're also an inspiration to other 924 Turbo owners looking to tune their cars
Keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of the project!
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could crank out a few of those Garrett adapters, I'm certain you could find buyers for them.
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboy wrote:
Nice mods and you better find someone who really knows how to tune the car as wrong tune in the turbo car will kill it quick. I was scared to see that you had the GT28RS mounted upside down, luckily in later photos it was corrected. Mounting it even in steep angle will kill the seals, not even talking about upside down.

Thanks. This is the problem with doing this stuff. It's too easy to find someone who doesn't know enough about what they are doing. Biggest problem with the initial fit of the turbo was that they didn't fit a restrictor and too much oil got into the turbo, and then into the inlet manifold.

Raceboy wrote:
But I would suggest to change out the oil cooler lines asap to pressed steel braided ones because the regular clamps are barely good at holding even the cooling system together reliably.

My mechanic picked this up also. All the blue hose willl be tossed out when the new cooler is fitted.
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Wow. Some impressive work and money spent there. When do you think it will all be back together?

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks. Everything is being assembled now, so should be ready in...12 months. Well, maybe 1 or 2 months, this stuff takes forever.
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEASEL149 wrote:
Wow! I was just starting to get bored with 924 forums and then I get home from work and see this.

You've got some really cool stuff going on here - I love your exhaust headers/manifold and exhaust system.

You may have found inspiration on here but you're also an inspiration to other 924 Turbo owners looking to tune their cars
Keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of the project!

Thank you for the kind words.
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
If you could crank out a few of those Garrett adapters, I'm certain you could find buyers for them.

If someone wants to buy it and make copies for other people, I'll be happy to go along.
daniel  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who made the headers? Thats real neat work.

Also, I ran my exhaust in my race car right past the starter like you did, ended up killing the starter. Not to worry though, I got a gear reduction one from ideola that handles the heat AND the compression.

Cheers

Daniel

PS if you ever bring the car to Sydney let me know and we'll catch up for a chat, or take her for a run to Wakefield next time im there
peterld  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Snapping Duckfeathers.......
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good shit so far....
what are the engine / clutch details??

P.S another lovely brown interior.... hehe
Stu
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea very nice, nice work (keen on the header design.) nice pics,
nice upgrade .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel wrote:
Who made the headers? Thats real neat work.

Exhaust Innovations, Capalaba, QLD. I sent him links to Steve Bassington's 931 (https://picasaweb.google.com/111470514161382354517/SteveBassingtonS931?gsessionid=SCfSDOrYgX9M1FtR3HXLNw) and Flosho's (http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=33337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180) for inspiration.

daniel wrote:
Also, I ran my exhaust in my race car right past the starter like you did, ended up killing the starter. Not to worry though, I got a gear reduction one from ideola that handles the heat AND the compression.

Thanks for the warning. A starter from Ideola is on my list for the future.

daniel wrote:
PS if you ever bring the car to Sydney let me know and we'll catch up for a chat, or take her for a run to Wakefield next time im there

Thanks, Daniel. I'll take you up on that if I drive down there.
GeorgeV  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadfoot wrote:
good shit so far....
what are the engine / clutch details??

Thanks, Stu. Engine & clutch are stock and stock...until they blow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: