Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Diesel ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spannernut  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Diesel ? Reply with quote

After scouring the net,i have yet to find any one who has succesfully put a diesel engine into a 924, i am toying with having a go at it,but 2 things are making me think it will be a struggle.
First the 924 bellhousing will not suit,,secondly the oil filter on the Audi A4 engine is in the way of the clutch arm.
Now i know i will have to make a plate to mount the engine to bellhousing and i could probably fit a hydraulic clutch,but along with other alterations ,engine mounts,alternator,exhaust,radiator,intercooler,etc,i'm just thinking it would be a challenge,but would it end up like my last project,putting 944 running gear in a 924 and coming to a complete standstill due to the steering arm not lining up,after carefull measuring.
Do any of you know any one who has succesfully done a diesel conversion on a 924 ? as it would be a great help in making my mind up.
The advantages of diesel against petrol is definately worth the effort.
As the 924 is a lot lighter than the Audi it should be more economical and i would imagine with 130 bhp it might even be a bit faster,it would definately cut the running costs in half.
Here's some pics of the Audi Turbo diesel 1.9 with the 924 bell housing sitting on it ,any suggestions opinions are welcome.

RedChar  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions, but that looks awesome! Have you done anything else with this since the post?
spannernut  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedChar wrote:
No suggestions, but that looks awesome! Have you done anything else with this since the post?

Not yet,haven't had the time, but intend to have a go at it in the new year.
I have 2 924 shells sitting outside,1 is an auto and that is the 1 i reckon i will try to fit it in, it will be easier to fit it in an auto than a manual.
But time will tell.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear that I have seen photos of a 924 with a diesel successfully installed. Seems like it had a turbo. I could be wrong.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
spannernut  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joecitizennn wrote:
I swear that I have seen photos of a 924 with a diesel successfully installed. Seems like it had a turbo. I could be wrong.

I'm sure some one has done it before,the engine i am using is from a 97 Audi A4 TDI , putting out 115bhp ,but as i will have to fit a manual injector pump, thus eliminating the ECU ,it will probably bring the BHP down a bit ,as it's not possible to chip it without an ECU.
FJ40Jim  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictured engine is VW 4cyl, which is completely different from either the Audi or Porsce 4cyls used in the 924. The bellhousing and starter monting are particularly what makes putting any VW engine in a 924 a challenge.

The engine that will bolt to the BH is the 2.5L Audi 5cyl TDI.

To install a foreign engine in the 24 I would go at the BH & clutch the other way. Use the BH & clutch that match the engine, and make an adapter plate to go from the back of the BH down to the relatively small 4 bolt tork tube flange. In the case of the VW 4cyl, where there is no BH that unbolts from the front of the trans, the BH section off the front of a junk transaxle could be bandsawed off, then milled flat on the back side to create a removable BH.

A TDI powered 924 would be very cool. I DD a tuned Mk4 Golf and it is reasonably quick, while returning almost 50MPG when driven sensibly. In a car with better aero and 500lbs less weight, it would be downright fast.
Go for it!
spannernut  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FJ40Jim wrote:
The pictured engine is VW 4cyl, which is completely different from either the Audi or Porsce 4cyls used in the 924. The bellhousing and starter monting are particularly what makes putting any VW engine in a 924 a challenge.

The engine that will bolt to the BH is the 2.5L Audi 5cyl TDI.

To install a foreign engine in the 24 I would go at the BH & clutch the other way. Use the BH & clutch that match the engine, and make an adapter plate to go from the back of the BH down to the relatively small 4 bolt tork tube flange. In the case of the VW 4cyl, where there is no BH that unbolts from the front of the trans, the BH section off the front of a junk transaxle could be bandsawed off, then milled flat on the back side to create a removable BH.

A TDI powered 924 would be very cool. I DD a tuned Mk4 Golf and it is reasonably quick, while returning almost 50MPG when driven sensibly. In a car with better aero and 500lbs less weight, it would be downright fast.
Go for it!

Thanks for that FJ40Jim, i was considering going that route,to find a 5 cylinder audi engine is like looking for a hen with teeth here.
Possibly the Audi are different in the States to here, as Audi VW engines are interchangable here, i would imagine it to be similar in other parts of the world.
Hopefully i will get a chance to go at it in the new year as the cost of fuel here at the moment is €1.56.8 ltr petrol €1.52.8 ltr diesel.
As i have recently fitted a reconditioned engine in my 79 924 i am currently getting 30 to 40 miles per gallon,depending on how i drive it,prior to that with the original engine i was lucky to get20 to 25 mpg, soit's a big improvement,but i reckon with the TDI fitted i should get 55 to 60 mpg, but time will tell .
FJ40Jim  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannernut wrote:
Thanks for that FJ40Jim, i was considering going that route,to find a 5 cylinder audi engine is like looking for a hen with teeth here.
Possibly the Audi are different in the States to here, as Audi VW engines are interchangable here, i would imagine it to be similar in other parts of the world.

I had no idea the A6 2.5TDI was so rare. Bummer, cause it's a sweet powerplant. We didn't get them at all in USA, only the 1.9TDI.

The audi & VW engines are not interchangeable. There are 2 general classes of engines: Audi and VW.

Audi engines include:
the large 4cyl found in 924, old Audi cars, and (in USA) AMC spirit and mail jeeps.
inline 5
inline 6
Audi V6
Audi V8

VW engines include:
Small 4cyl found in almost all VWs, small audis (1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.8 16V, 1.8 20VT, 1.9TDI, 2.0, 2.0 16V, 2.0 20VT....)
VR5
VR6
W8

The transaxle in A4/Passat that could come with VW 1.8T or Audi V6 was manufactured with both bolt patterns, so either engine family would bolt to the same transaxle. Not sure how starter mounting is handled in those situations?

Bottom line: VW engines don't have a single mounting bolt in common with audi engines. So treat installing the VW 4cyl as a total "foreign" engine swap. It has about as much in common a installing a Honda engine into a 924. Not trying to put you off the idea, just offering info.
spannernut  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A6 are available here in 1.9 2.0 and 2.5 v6 but the earlier 5 cylinder are all but gone, in saying that i was talking to a friend and he thinks he knows where there are a couple of the 5 cylinder tdi engines that might be bought, so he is going to check the bolt pattern when he gets the chance.
Thanks for the information FJ40Jim it's a great help and hopefully if i can get 1 of the engines i will get stuck in,will keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: