Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Quick question and background.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Quick question and background. Reply with quote

So my goal with this 924 is to hit the track. Currently the car is running the stock brakes. I am looking to run the car at Watkins Glen in 2013 as well as a track near me, Calabogie Motorsports Park.

My question is, Am I going to hurt myself? Will the brakes stand up to a weekend of track driving. There will be times when I will let them cool off for a lap or two.

Just looking for opinions.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it depends on how many laps you do and how fast the circuit is and ofcourse how fast are you.

i've tracked the 924 NA with drums on the back on a not so fast circuit and i had no problems to do a few fast laps.
if you know how to work with those brakes i think they will not be a problem....if you dont..and use them too often and too hard...you will heat them up and they will fade.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had lots of experience with running a stockish 924 on track for several seasons, hunting down modern porsches

Ive ran my 924 for many many track days, from 2degC to 30+degC ambient temp. Running time between 15min to about 1hr stints, we drove 2 ppl in the car during those track days. No matter how hard we pushed the car the brakes never failed or faded once. This car were stock except for sticky R compunds tyres+lots of negative camber and of course a rebuilt/refreshed brake system and decent pads(Tried both Hawk Hp+ and carbotech xp8) and nice brake fluid.

I also have driven endurance racing with a team that drove a 924, with no name pads" we only got a couple hours before changing (no fade though). With nice ones they lasted looooong time.

So the trick is:

Refresh/rebuild your calipers, its almost free, and on this kind of calipers its VERY important that they can slide freely. Otherwise they will build up unnecessary heat in the pads. My recommendation is to run the combination of Hawk HP+ in front, "stock" brakes at the rear (its important that they are well adjusted and do not drag against the brake drum when they heat up and expand) and some good fluid, for example Motul RBF600. I removed my brake shields for some better air flow around the disk.

Trick number two:

Crappy braking technique can kill any kind of brakes. The trick is to brake hard and for a shorter time. Dragging the brakes for 200m before the corner is only gonna be hard on the brakes. So hard and short.

If you wonder anything about track driving a 924 just ask
daniel  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot also comes down to the pads. I use Hawk DTC60 compound and find it just stands up to the strain. Also for a cheap upgrade fit drums from a Type 3 VW and calipers from a Audi 80. They bolt straight up. The only other mod I have made is to convert the cross split to a standard front and rear split and I also use a turbo master cylinder.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a few bucks at the junkyard and get yourself four wheel discs. IMO, the drums are not the biggest problem, it is the solid front rotors getting too hot.
skytrooper  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running it in Chumpcar ? Those are a few of the tracks for the 2013 season.

1987 - 924S "Black Pearl"
1982 - BMW 633CSi
1984 - BMW 528e
1983 - 944 N/A "Blue Max" (Gone)
1981 - 931 "Scarlet Harlot" (Gone)
1976 911S Targa (Gone)
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matt;

No this is just my toy and track day car. I am going to be renewing my old membership to the Porsche Club of America (PCA) and taking part in the Zone 1 24 hours of Watkins Glen.

As for the Calabogie Motorsports Park, that is my local track so a day or two there will be for fun and to take out frustration of every day moron drivers. LOL.

Mike
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: