Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Steering wheels for track cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Steering wheels for track cars Reply with quote

Yep, steering wheels, not wheels wheels (clarification so morghen doesn't give me shit again LOL )

Using my stock steering wheel seems.... ehhhh gigantic? Getting in and out is a pain in the ass. Do you guys go with a smaller diameter (I'm sure you must) wheel, if so, what wheels and hub offsets do you guys go with with your steering wheels? Currently using a Sparco Evo. It fits fine in the car and I love the comfort and the way it hugs me. But getting in and out is a big pain. One could argue a quick release would make sense, but I'm not a fan of them and would rather have a fixed wheel.

Figured I'd ask for feedback from those who have aftermarket or racing seats in their cars and see if you encountered the same thing and how you got around it. You could say "Scoot the seat back" but remember, I'm a small guy, so I do have to sit up closer to the wheel.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I have a Prototipo, which is a smaller size. In fact, it can almost fit inside the rim of a stock steering wheel. I like the 'small' spokes it has, but feel it's a bit too small; not enough leverage for cornering on the track. I have a larger two-spoke stock wheel that I'm going to try this winter. Your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position would be above the spokes; you're gripping only the wheel. Might work, might not. Details at 11.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Dino wheel (essentially a Momo/LeCarra-style wheel) with a quick release and a bolt pattern adapter to use a Grant adapter (and to extend it slightly)

I also move the seat back/forth since I'm equally "sm-ALL"

Not all quick releases are the same, the positive locking solutions work very well. Mine uses a 4-puck engagement between the wheel/adapter with a rotating locking ring around the outside and a locking button to lock the ring in place. Simply doesn't move, once it is engaged. There is even a horn button provision, though I don't use it.

There is a reason race cars use quick release wheels, the drivers can't safely get out of the car in the event of an accident. Since you're using racing-style parts in your car (seats/harness), you really need to think about using a quick release wheel or get used to moving the seat back/forth.

Here's the cheap knock-off version of the one I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-1-5-THIN-6-HOLE-BOLT-STEERING-WHEEL-SHORT-SLIM-QUICK-RELEASE-HUB-KIT-/200825948208?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec228c830&vxp=mtr

and pictures of my wheel:

CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well, the car is pretty light so I'm not sure how much it would affect it. Then again, too small and I could see issues. It takes little to no effort at all, even at a standstill, to move my wheel. So I wouldn't mind a bit more effort.

How small is it in diameter?

(edit) i see Stefan replied while I was typing lol.

I guess perhaps I've had a hard time in getting used to quick release ideas since I've heard horror stories of them coming off. If you are saying they are safe, which are the designs to "go with" and which ones do you "stay away from" in the design?
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the street, I'd go with the type that uses a rotating locking ring, since those are more difficult to release without meaning to.

NRG seems to make some decent looking ones.

The ones that remove via squeezing a lever behind the wheel work great for race cars since they come off more easily for drivers that are belted in and have very little movement available. Drivers also should check to make sure the wheel is latched before they leave the pits by pulling on it as they are tightening their belts.

if you don't double check it before leaving the pits, this might happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nra4mhhSZWc

If you make it up north sometime, I'll show it to you. Maybe even give you a ride in the whale.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo wheel, Momo boss, B&G quick release. Brings the wheel closer to the body for driving, keeps hands away from the stalks, easy entry and exit, added security if you take the wheel with you when leaving the car parked in the street.

CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
For the street, I'd go with the type that uses a rotating locking ring, since those are more difficult to release without meaning to.

NRG seems to make some decent looking ones.

The ones that remove via squeezing a lever behind the wheel work great for race cars since they come off more easily for drivers that are belted in and have very little movement available. Drivers also should check to make sure the wheel is latched before they leave the pits by pulling on it as they are tightening their belts.

if you don't double check it before leaving the pits, this might happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nra4mhhSZWc

If you make it up north sometime, I'll show it to you. Maybe even give you a ride in the whale.

Good info, thanks my friend.

The video made me cringe a bit. Although I'm impressed at how calmly he reacted, that's the best way to go about it since freaking out doesn't help.
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man everyone is replying while I'm replying today LOL!

That's a NICE looking setup. Love it! Do they sell these in a kit anywhere together? Or did you source and look around till you found what you liked? I've read that the setups for the 70s-80s 911s work for our cars, but finding anything labeled "924" has been nearly impossible it seems.

Carrera RSR wrote:
Momo wheel, Momo boss, B&G quick release. Brings the wheel closer to the body for driving, keeps hands away from the stalks, easy entry and exit, added security if you take the wheel with you when leaving the car parked in the street.

- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 911/944 is usually a better search for that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMO-Porsche-944-968-911-Steering-Wheel-Hub-Adapter-/230581623786?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

Here's the quick release he has:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-G-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-System-/330793949092?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d04db17a4

And the US version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-GEN-2-5-Quick-Release-Black-Black-SRK-250BK-/110885879459?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d1503ea3&vxp=mtr

Here's the Grant adapter I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grant-Products-Steering-Wheel-Installation-Kit-Matte-Black-Aluminum-Volkswagen-/330791902080?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

And to adapt to a Momo wheel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-HOLE-WHEEL-TO-GRANT-ADAPTER-POLISH-6-hole-wheel-to-5-hole-adapter-/260984285154?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc3e027e2&vxp=mtr

I did this as it was cheaper than the Momo mounting kit (at the time)
CorsePerVita  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any noticeable difference in quality between grant, momo, dino, etc?
- 1987 Lamborghini Jalpa
- 1999 Ducati 900SS
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I've seen since they all rely on the handful of bolts to hold it all together, requiring you to ensure they are put together with loctite and proper tension.

They btoh provide some level of collapse in the event of an accident.

My solution is a bit of kluge to put together, but it allowed me to tailor it a bit to what I want and well, it was cheap because I'm perpetually poor
SgtRauksauff  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '77 will be used for rallyX, Ice Time-Trials, and perhaps an occasional autoX.

There's a Corbeau Forza seat in it (which I need to find a way to locate better) that made ingress/egress horrible with the original wheel.

So, what I ended up doing was to grind the rivets from the original wheel to the "birdcage" off, and used a 1/4" piece of plate steel to act as an adapter between the birdcage and a Grant wheel that I found in the back of the car.

Here are the pictures of my creation:

From the seated perspective:

From the Side:

Showing the inside of the Grant adapter:

Lock washers and nylock nuts were used, it's not going anywhere.

I agree that a quick release helps a LOT getting in and out, I got an NRG 2.5 (for cheap because the 3.0 had just come out) for my '85 Corolla. I like the fact that the wheel was moved a bit closer to me as well, as it just makes it better to control.

--sarge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: