Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

The Old Pacific Highway (Gosford to Cowan)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
staticsan  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: The Old Pacific Highway (Gosford to Cowan) Reply with quote

Living as I do on the edge of a sprawling city, I have to arrange large pieces of time to explore the roads on the other side to where I live. The weekend just past, I got to do just that.

The main highway from Sydney north to the settled areas around Gosford has had a chequered history. Significant was the trouble building it because it goes through quite hilly topography including some significant watercourses, mainly the Hawkesbury River. As such, any map will show you that it is a road with lots of curves and slopes. It has also been gradually superseded over the last five decades by freeway for most of its length. So the old highway remains generally servicing the various small settlements along the way. Unsurprisingly, far and away most traffic uses the six-lane freeway rather than the two-lane highway.

Driving up to my holiday destination on Friday, I chose to use only a small part of the highway because I was anxious to meet up with my friends. But coming home this afternoon (a Sunday), I chose the old highway for almost all of the way, an adventure of just over 40kms. I'm glad I did! As far as I can tell, most curves are banked correctly and most are also sign-posted with appropriate advisory speed signs.

The only two real flies in the ointment is that there are several villages along the length, Mooney Mooney being the largest. So there are conceivably residents around.

The second is that the sign-posted speed limit is 60 or 70km/h for most of its length. I saw evidence that the limit used to be much higher, actually: 100km/h but I do not know for how much of it as many cars would not be able to take many corners faster than half of that. I was very lucky, though, in not encountering any other driver in front of me until into a blessedly long section with an overtaking lane.

Definitely a good drive in a 924!

Wade.
staticsan  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And apologies for no pictues: I was far too busy driving!

Wade.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get back when you can and get us some pics
joejax  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cool Drives All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: