Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Sydney's Royal National Park.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
staticsan  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Sydney's Royal National Park. Reply with quote

Like most National Parks, Sydney's Royal National Park has several strips of tarmac connecting the various entry points with each other and the various places of interest.

The 30-odd km of the north-south run (Sir Bertram Stevens and Lady Wakehurst Drives for the most part) does have some advantages. The first is that for most of its length, it is just the road and the bush. Very few side roads, almost no driveways. The other is that much of it was built back when the NSW Department of Main Roads actually knew how to build them. So corners tend to be cambered correctly and the advisory speed signs are consistent and probably accurate for a common Aussie car of fifty years ago.

For a thirty-year old Porsche, though... oh, they're lovely. My Lancer does not feel anywhere near as safe on these bends. It's easy to do 20km/h over the posted limits in the 924 - even in most corners. Far easier than in the Lancer.

The hardest part is picking a time when it'll be empty, because there are villages people live in. Late Sunday afternoon can be good. And weekday night after 9pm is also good. Coming north is better than going south, too, because most traffic into the park goes in via the northmost entrance.

And the best thing about them for me? They're only a few minutes from home.

I'm coming to really love these roads. And my 924 really loves the run.

Wade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cool Drives All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: