Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

400CI Ford smallblock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cbass  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow I get the very fun(sarcasm) task of pulling my 400CI Ford smallblock done... I have a couple new homes in mind, namely an 81 RX7, but it has no brakes...

It's either a $300 RX7, or a $150 Pinto...
Hey, maybe it would look nice in a 924 (just kidding for christs sake)
Cbass  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W00T!! It's done, the motor is pulled, and is looking for a new home... That RX7 is in dire need of a powerplant, since the old engine seized(damned lack of motor oil)...

I couldn't get the C6 tranny with it though, we didn't have time! Now I have the incredibly fun task of finding a tranny that will hook up to a 400... Turns out it isn't a Windsor either, it's a 400M built at the Cleveland plant. It has a Cleveland block and pistons, with a modified clevaland crank and new rods, for 400 cubes... It's getting turbos and about 600hp for now.
marky522  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put a chevy 6cyl int an RX7, damn was that a quick car, the only prob. we had was we used a sledge to "Alter" the firewall so the distributer wouldent hit, the mounts were easy, oh yeah it needed a thinner fan.

Mark
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the the firewall might have to be "reworked"(sledgehammer/cutting torch) a little

I think the motor is good for about 250hp right now, and probable 350-400lbft.. It needs a rebuild, new distributor and cam, and it should make 350hp. A set of 4V cleveland heads will bring that up to around 400, but I might stick with the iron heads and run the twin T3 approach.
abduln  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cbass,

First, I'd vote for the RX-7. Do a Ford 2.3 turbo in the Pinto, you can get those pretty cheap nowadays, LOL.

Some years ago I helped my neighbor hookup his 351C to a T5 with a simple aftermarket adapter plate. I am sure the plates are still available, and it's pretty cheap at a couple of hundred bucks (it's just rectangular plate of aluminum with an index hole in the middle and some perimeter bolt holes). Instead of hooking up a self-destructing T-5 (there is no way it would take the torque of a 400M), you could hookup a Tremec.

If you are looking for a C6 try a swapmeet, but be prepared to rebuild it.

Good luck,
Abdul
Rick MacLaren  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop it into the Pinto!
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you mean drop it "ON" the Pinto
Cbass  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex girlfriend drove a pinto... Pintos are cool when done properly... did you know they campaigned pintos in the under 2.5L transam series?

I think it will go in the RX7... I was looking at prices for trannies, and I can get a pro built C6 for $1000 USD... It can hand 500+ lbft, which is what I will be pushing. I read this great article on a TT 351W, and the guy found out you can put about 10lbs of boost through it reliably. He had a T-Bird doing low 12s, so I figure an RX7 should be into the 10s with no problems.

Summit carries a rebuild kit with forged pistons for the 400, with a compression ratio of 8.3:1. Thats pretty low compression, very suitable for forced induction. Also, it has a cleveland bottom end, so it'll hold together with 600 hp easily.
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RX7 project takes shape! Well, heres my crazy idea. I will have a spare G31 tranny, aside from the one I'm getting from the parts car.

The motor is getting a new cam, distributor, a rebuild with forged pistons(8.3:1, still good for turbocharging), ignition amp, the usual stuff.

Heres the crazy part. Looking at Adams Chevy project, I have decided to make a hybrid torque tube, and attach it to the spare G31. I figured out the math, and this should give me a perfect 50/50 weight balance if I can get aluminum heads, and a good radiator! 2300lbs, 50/50 weight balance, 6.6 liter... This thing is going to be a monster.
Jrod-13  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being abig time ford man, ill give my $.02 here, the 400 is a 2bbl smog engine, Im not sure if they ever made over 200hp. the 351's were made in 3 differnte dseigns, the 351W was made in canada, and is a smallblock, the bellhousing is a smallblock, same a 302. the 351C is a a smallblock with bigblock style heads, they have canted valves. the 2v's are good heads, and the 4v's have huge ports and valves, they make power in the 4k-7k rpm range. they have the same bellhousing as a 302 or 351w. the 400m you have is the same block as a 351m the two motors are idendtical except for stroke, the after market is very, very small on them. mainly because they were only used in large cars and truck, mainly in the 150-170hp range, a handful were built with 4bbl's but very few. the compression is low, and they oiling system is bad, jus tlike the 351c and bigblocks. a high volume oil pump is a must. ALso the 351m and 400m are big blocks, so they have the same bellhousing as the 385 seires motors(370-429-460).

Jared
Cbass  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the 351/400M engines are based off the 351C, except they have a slighty taller deckheight...

While there is not much of an aftermarket for the 400M, there is for the 351C, and many of the parts, including the bottom end and cylinder heads are directly interchangeable. In fact, the 400M and 351C cranks are the same raw casting, before the stroke is figured into things.

The displacement on the 351C 4V was too little to support those size valves and ports, but the extra 50 cubes of the 400M are just about enough to make it streetable. It's not that difficult to get an extra liter out of the 400M either, and is a worthwhile step if you're going to upgrade the rotating mass to forged components.

I'm not looking to go that far though, so I'll stick to a milder 400hp build, because after all, a RX7 is a very light car. While the Cleveland was discontinued in the US in the early 70s, production continued in Australia for decades. The "aussie head" features a closed quench type combustion chamber like the 4V US head, but the smaller valves and ports of the 2V. Using this closed chamber head, the compression is raised about 1.5:1, resulting in a 9.8:1 compression ratio with my chosen build. With an Edelbrock 4V manifold, Crane 268 cam, dual exhaust and a good distributor(haven't chose one yet), I should make a shade under 400hp, with 500lbft to match.

A 2bbl smog motor, yes, but a 2 bbl smog motor with an awful lot of potential. I know of a guy down in the states running 800hp out of a 400M stroker, with Boss 302 heads and 14.5:1 compression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: