Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Question concerning install of new Bilstein front struts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregSC  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Question concerning install of new Bilstein front struts Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am just about to wrap up my winter long project of refreshing the brake and suspension system on my '77 and get the car back on the road .

A set of Bilstein front struts arrived today on my favorite big brown truck (got a good deal from autopartswarehouse, $129 a piece plus a discount code worth 10% off for anyone interested). Anyway the literature that came with the struts state to not use a bump stop as the Bilstein struts have an internal one.

My question is this--which part exactly is this bump stop they are talking about? I've looked through my factory manuals, the Haynes manual, and searched the topic on this board and I'm still not sure. I can see that I wouldn't need to use the accordion style rubber sleeve or the upside down cup, but I don't think either of these are the stops they are talking about (even though Haynes calls the accordion style sleeve a stop pad).

Sorry for such a noob question, but I am when it comes to working with these struts so any help will be greatly appreciated.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bump stop on my 79 was integrated into the top of the rubber boot that protected the top of the strut housing from dirt. This is called the Strut Stop according to the Pelican Parts site.

I think if the Bilsteins provide a rubber boot of some sort, then eliminate this piece from the assemblies and put them together per the instructions.

Hope this helps,
Scorpio  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt use a bump stop on my Bilstein HD's, assuming the internal one will work
BILSTEIN SHOCKS
GT BASED CUSTOM BODYKIT

Brisbane , Australia
Think mean think fast
all youll see is
my Porsches Arse!!!
GregSC  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after I posted this questions I took another look at the factory manual and it lists the cup-like part right under the top locknut as the "stop" (number 2 in the illustration in the factory manual and in the Haynes manual pg. 221) this looks like a different part than what would be an integrated piece with the rubber protecting sleeve as fiat22turbo mentioned (8 on pg. 221 of Haynes).

I'm still confused. Scorpio, what part did you leave out when you installed your Bilsteins?

Any clarification from someone in the know will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: