Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944Cup/Beaverun Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back and recovering from the Beaverun weekend... a whole lot of fun, great track, definitely put it on your list of tracks to drive! Short but very fast, some real exciting corners!

Results were not so hot. Wore myself out Saturday learning the track in the rain, so I was too tired for the race, and ended up spinning out and parking it in the mud. Got very very dirty, as the 4x4 that was trying to pull me to a safe area had more success in showering the car with mud than moving me! However, I was doing well until that point, having passed a few 944's. Video will follow, I am having problems with the sound on my PC when trying to capture.

Sunday we focused on conserving the driver's energy, skipping practice for breakfast. Also missed the driver's meeting, and my absence was noted, apparently. However, turns out the main focus seemed to be trying to get the 944 drivers to calm down and behave themselves, drive clean.

Didn't work, as Sunday's race showed. Qualified very poorly, hardly any faster than in the rain - seems like the control pressure regulator crapped out again. Car didn't even sound right any more, according to the crew. Race performance showed, times were down and we just worked to turn our laps. However, on the plus side, we did at least manage to finish a race for once, even if a couple of laps down!

Still waiting for results to be posted on the 944Cup website; there were some retirements, so we still did manage to move up some positions.

No question about it, running with 16 944's was sure a blast! We should've been competitive mid-pack if the engine had stayed running properly and if we'd been down to the correct weight. As it was, we were 200# heavy. However, much good has come of this, simply being present. We (924 drivers) have received a concession from the 944Cup to allow us to use fiberglass hoods and bumpers and lexan hatches and windshields to make it easier to get our cars down to spec weight, so that they can be competitive with the 944's. I'm looking forward to spending some time this winter putting on that fiberglass and lexan and being ready, down to weight and competitive next year. That in addition to the motor and shocks already planned.

Furthermore, as the highest-placing 924 from the weekend, we've earned a discount to be used to purchase that stuff!

Nice series...

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further discussions with Dave @ InertiaWerks have made it clear that a 924 is the best option for this series right now! They're obviously cheaper to build than a 944. Furthermore, numbers are so low, if you show up and compete with a 924, you're basically guaranteed a discount certificate! Rennsport/InertiaWerks' sponsorship deal is a 20% discount certificate on one part to the top 924 finisher. Furthermore, they also give a 15% discount cert. to the driver with the most positions gained, and a 15% discount certificate to the last 3 finishers of the race. Finally, as if that weren't enough, all registered 944Cup drivers get a 10% discount on all parts. Kewl.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
cwr-fl  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaughan,

The fiberglass and lexan consession - is that just for early 924s or does that also include the 87-88 924S?

88 924S/GT conversion
73 914 track car
88 924S M030 track car (under construction)

[ This Message was edited by: cwr-fl on 2002-10-23 01:46 ]
John Brown  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I can speak for Dave Derecola on this one. Only the 2 liter 924. The 924S already has a slight weight advantage and is just as easy to get into fighting trim and the 944s.

Our 931 must weight same as a 944 and we are 150 lbs UNDER by simply removing the interior.
cwr-fl  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave got back to me on one of the 944Cup forums and this will not apply to the 87-88 924S. While it would have been nice to shave some more weight off, it does make sense.

Minhiriath  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsume vaughan, I love reading your racing updates, I sure wish there was racing availible here.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's gotta be some... check out CASC?

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Minhiriath  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Automobile Sport Clubs ?
I couldn't find anything from them in westren canada. :/

Min
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: