Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 type 1 engine into '78 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70-vp-43  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: 944 type 1 engine into '78 924 Reply with quote

Ok so i've read all the posts on how to plant a 944 engine into a 924, but still I'm not convinced not to do it. I can buy a 944 for about $500,- with a body thats beyond repair. The rest is ok, engine, suspension, etc. With a donor car which is technicaly perfect, what are the exact things that need to be done to my 924 like welding and so on. I heard it is not just a bold-in job, but I can swap everything myself so how expensive or difficult can it be. Please note that my engine is really not running well and buying a new engine would cost me the same as buying a scrap 944. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the time and a complete donor car then there's no reason why the conversion should not be straight forward. Ignoring the cosmetics, the 924 and 944 shells are the same.

I would think that your major problem would be experienced advice if you have any questions. I don't remember anyone on this board saying that they had actually done the conversion. As with all transplants you'll get lots of opinions but very few facts.

Access to a 924S would really help or someone willing to send you photos when you have the inevitable "how exactly is the .... mounted to the ..." questions.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
john h  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shell of the donor car is OK from door pillar forward the easist way to do a swap is just cut the fron't of both cars and put the 44 nose cut onto the 24 - that way you don't have to mess around fabricating stuff to get it all to fit

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to disapoint you john but you still would have to fab abit as you would need to run the entire engine wire harness and comp,
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872730477

here is the lower cross member for sale on ebay
70-vp-43  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ok, the wire harness wouldn't be that much of a problem since I would have the entire donor car. as far as the cross member is concerned, the one on e-bay is for a 944 type II and those are reletively expensive even here in the neterlands. isn't it possible to just bold-on the crossmember complete with suspension, brakes and everything from the donor 944. if the body of a 924 and a 944 aren't different except for the rear fenders then this shoudn't be a problem i think.
does a type I also have a computer or is everything done with valves like a 924 engine?
john h  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 944 motor is mounted completely different from a 924. The 924 motor is hung off mounts onthe side of the engine bay. and the cross member is bolted to the care by four bolts above the inner pivot point for the front wishbone. even the front sway bar is mounted differently.
If you look at this link you can see the cross arm.

As I said if you have a complete donor car with a shagged body compare it with your 924 and cut the front off both and rejoin.

In answer to Lizard - you don't nee dth ecomputer to do a front cut - besides 70-vp-43 already has the complete car hence that was why I didn't mention wiring harnes etc as I would assuem that comes with the donor car.

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
70-vp-43  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ok I think I won't do it but I have another question then: is it possible to build a turbo an a standard 924. ok I know it is possible but do you have to use a original porsche turbo or can i use something else. it is probably real expensive and hard to come by a real original fully functional turbo for a 924.
and don't get me wrong. i'm not that dissattisfied with the power of my car, but i just want to give my 924 this little extra.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all turbos work the same you might have a hard time fabbing everything you need for adding the turbo though ie piping, exhaust manifold, routing through the CIS or converting to EFI
Nick Neves  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,
contrary to popular belief, there is a guy on this board who IS putting a 944 motor in a 924-me! It's actually an 81 924 turbo, and it's quite a bit of work, but a lot easier (and especially cheeper!) than some of the swaps other guys are doing. If you want to know more about it, check out my posts on the thread about 951 to 924 swaps, or just send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to answer your questions.
nick><>
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy X-mas everyone

God Could you imagine the power availablwe to you with just a few
performance mods with a turbo 44 engine in a car like the 924.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Robb Northrup  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: 944 into 924 Reply with quote

Erwin:

I've seen all the other posts on this topic. The main problem is the steel crossmember o the 924: it is strong enough for handing the front suspension. But probably not for handling the engine mounts as well.

The 944 has a very heavy-duty cast cross member designed to handle the suspension and mounting the engine.

I think your car is probably a pre-computer car (mine is a North American 924, with K Jetronic mechanical injection and a computer [ECU] with oxygen sensor). So you will need to wire the car to accomodate the 944's computer. It might be wise to install a complete 944 wiring harness.

Regarding the cross member:

The mountings are different between the 924 and 944. There are some who advocate cutting out the mounting pad from the 944 and install it in the 924. But unless you are very good in measuring and welding, I think it would be better to reinforce the 924 cross member and weld mounting pads for the 944's engine mounts. Welding steel plate to the sides and bottom should do it. Perhaps welding in gussets around the moutning pints on the chassis.

Unless you're going to race, you shouldn't have a problem with stability of the cross member or its mounting points.

This is what I'm planning on doing. I purchased a 944 aluminum cross member and will copy the engine mounting pads and steering rack mounts onto the steel 924 cross member (so I can use a 944 power steering rack).

The computer will mount where the computer currently is now.

You'll want wiring dagrams for both the 924 and 944 and study it very carefully.

For the cost of the engine swap, knowing that you already own your 924, any work is worth it.

Just go slow...

Robb
v8carreragts  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One area you may have a problem is the clutch master cylinder. You said that your car is a 78 and as far as I know the first body with the clutch master cylinder provisions is 1979. I can be done but you need to do a few things to make it work.

There is no hole so you need to locate and punch the hole. You will need to make up something to hold the studs that the clutch master cylinder mounts to. You will also need to make a strengthening plate to cover the whole area around the clutch master cylinder. The 79 and newer bodies already have this. Without this you will push the master cylinder off of the firewall. (I know from experience)

You will also need to dimple the left wheel well in front of the master cylinder for clearance. This is obvious if you compare yours to the donor.

And lastly, you need the brake master cylinder reservoir because it has the feed port for the clutch master.

I swapped a 944 engine into my last 924 (79) and it worked out fine. I bolted the 944 mounts to the stock crossmenber and had no issue with it. I needed to punch a hole in the firewall for the engine harness and I mounted the ECM in the same place as it was on the 944. You need to move the radiator forward a few inches as well.

I needed to make up a couple fuel line fittings to mate up with the 944 hoses.

Most everything else goes together pretty easily.
2013 Chevy Cruze
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: